Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In my second year of part time PGCE, got a 14 week old baby. Hard work. Can go on to do a masters. What IS a masters?

(5 Posts)
G2B Fri 22-Aug-08 16:12:13

What is it? And what benefits will it bring me? It would have to be in education. How long do you need to study for a masters? Is it worth it or not?

hercules1 Fri 22-Aug-08 16:15:00

I think you would normally be expected to actually have some experience behind you before taking a masters in education. I suggest if you don't know what a masters is you spend some time doing some research!

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 16:15:07

It's a 12 month course if you do it full time, 2 years part time, it's classed as a postgraduate degree and you have to pay for it unless you get funding. It's alot of work, mine wasn't too taxing. It didn't make me employer friendly as it's the next step towards a PhD. It depends whether it's something you want to do.

G2B Fri 22-Aug-08 16:19:53

I'm not fussed really. I just went for my second year PGCE interview and the tutor said a lot of the work is research based as it is working towards a masters (whether i chose to take that step or not is up to me). But that's all she said. I know obviously a masters is higher than a degree and is researched based, but just didn;t know what it's actually for IYKWIM.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 16:21:52

I've just emailed a school grovelling. I want to do the Graduate teacher programme, I don't know how relevant my MSc is though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now