Talk

Advanced search

OU level 3 literature courses - does anyone have any experience of these?

(6 Posts)
surprise Sat 16-Aug-08 08:34:35

About to embark on my final 2 years, but can't decide which Lit course to do. 20th C texts and debates or 19th C novels. Has anyone done either of these and what did you think? Thanks.

Moochops Fri 22-Aug-08 16:52:18

Hello Surprise, I did 20thC Texts and Debates and really enjoyed it (despite having a rather disinterested tutor). There is a lot of reading to do so I would try and get through all the novels before the course begins, but if you enjoy literature then it is a very enjoyable course. I am thinking about doing 19thC Novels next and from what I have read on the OU website I gather the amount of reading is comparative with the Texts and Debates course.

TwoIfBySea Wed 27-Aug-08 23:00:43

surprise, my creative writing tutor did mention several times that the 19th c. novels course was very worthwhile. He was a great tutor and I would take what he said as reliable.

Most of us didn't listen though and are doing the advanced creative writing instead!

Moochops Fri 29-Aug-08 15:56:42

Hello TwoIfBySea, what was the Creative Writing course like? I gather it was enjoyable as you have taken the advanced course but how much work was involved?

TwoIfBySea Mon 01-Sep-08 17:39:18

The creative writing course was really enjoyable and so informative that I began to think if I had learned this at school my life may have taken a different course. There are quite a lot of exercises in the course book but only 5 TMAs though I would have actually liked more! Rather than being exhausted over learning volumes of information it is exhausting creatively which I was surprised by but after feedback it does add to the esteem more than other courses.

I've kept the course book (just one large one rather than the little "Block" books)near to hand and keep delving in to practice for my next course.

There were two tutorials and I would really recommend attending them and using the FirstClass forum fully to get the most out of it. I know at least one of my "class" mates who is now working on his book - it does cover everything from inspiration to publishing. As well as the short story, there is a chance to practice poetry and life-writing. It is enough to spark the old brain cells that is for sure.

surprise Fri 12-Sep-08 09:57:38

Hi - had completely forgotten I'd posted this message - apologies to all who replied! have decided on AA316, the 19th C one. So far have managed to read one third of one novel blush, but it is very small writing and 900 pages long. Anyone else doing this course?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now