Talk

Advanced search

Am starting to brick it now.....

(17 Posts)
3andnomore Sun 10-Aug-08 14:50:16

I mean, gosh, there are moments when I think I must be absolutely mental in wanting to start studying again....and the time is nearing....!
Although, have not had my Occupational Health check yet....should I be worried (gonna do Ocupational therapy degree)?

In one way I can't wait to get started...but on the other hand, I am really scared of it all....I assume that is normal?

I have done my nursing, many , many years ago in Germany...but I was young and single....now, I am 38 and married with 3 Kids....it will be so difficult, won't it?
Oh, what have I done....I think I must be mad....!

How did other mature students with families found it all to start with?

3andnomore Sun 10-Aug-08 21:27:44

title not engaging anyone then?

sandy4 Sun 10-Aug-08 21:51:16

(think we're all busy studying!)

it helps to have a certain degree of madness to study when you have children! it is a bit of a shock to the system to start with, i have found life/kids/relationship juggling difficult (esp at school holiday time). i'm studying law (OU)& have 3dc's.

BUT it's one of the best decisions i have made. if you are determined to do it, you will. loads of luck.

i have to get on with coursework now (having a tea break & rushing typing this). hth. smile

artydeb Sun 10-Aug-08 21:57:05

No advice here but I can offer comraderie - also starting degree in Sept and its all becoming a bit real now. Just looked at Facebook group for uni and I think I may be the very oldest student there (35) but then i'm hoping maybe i'm just the very oldest to have joined the facebook group ? Is feeling like a very odd decision to think I could do this as it draws closer...

BBBee Sun 10-Aug-08 22:00:12

i am studying with 2 dcs.

I can;t really explain this but I was scared before I started and am only 'mum' on the course but it works - you just make it work. You will find that you have mulit tasking and time saving skills and prioritisng skills that only come with motherhood. This will set you in good stead.

Other good thing about having dcs is it keeps it all in perspective.

3andnomore Sun 10-Aug-08 22:05:29

thank you all

I suppose, I am lucky, that I know that I won't be the only mature student on teh course....OT has usually a fair few mature students.

I think it is the fact that it is all becoming more real now....

BBBee Mon 11-Aug-08 08:57:18

i have found these boards supportive - esp when studying late.

so will see you around wink

winemakesmummyclever Mon 11-Aug-08 09:44:31

I quit work last year, decided to go in a totally different career direction, and started a PT degree last September.

It was hard work, mainly because it was a completely alien subject area to me. However, I did well in my exams and course work and felt really proud of myself.

I did find it difficult juggling time for ds, dh, friends and family, but have had loads of support and help, especially from my lovely dh. If family/friends offer to take dcs off your hands for a couple of hours, take them up on it and get your head into the books. Even a little bit of reading each day can help to stop you stressing about keeping up.

Lower your standards re housework grin or recruit the kids / get dh to do more if you can.

You will have to be really strict with yourself and stick to any study plans you make. I used to do my reading/ type up notes/ check I understood things in the evenings once ds was in bed. I never worked past 10pm as I found that my brain would not shut down and I lie awake wondering about stuff that really was not that important. You will find what works best for you and get into your own routine.

This year is going to be even harder as I am now 12w pg (total surprise) and am due smack bang in the middle of the spring term, when most of my course work is due. A girl in one my groups managed to do it last year and she was studying full time, so I'm not too worried. I shall just have to pull my finger out and try to keep one step ahead. Have not informed uni yet, but cannot see it being a problem (shall come over all hormonal if they object!)

Also, don't forget that you will probably be much more committed that the younger students who basically are attending uni to work out what they really want to do with their lives/get as sociable as newts for three years. Just try not to let them lead you astray wink

Go for it, do the best you can and, most importantly, enjoy it. Good luck!

BBBee Mon 11-Aug-08 10:19:15

good post WMMC

I really second the idea of being more focused than younger students.

Also getting a good grade is like nothing I have known for ages - my invested time being recognised and rewarded. Amazing feeling.

3andnomore Tue 12-Aug-08 08:56:26

wmmc, lol at lowering my standards of housework....snigger....if I lower them any further, then we will be living in a pig sty all the time....lol....!

I think, the main part of my worry is, that it will not be only fulltime, but in this course fulltime does mean fulltime....4 1/2 days attendence in University, or I would be full time at a placement, iykwim....I wonder how I will fit it all in, around the Kids....sigh....I think I have to stop thinking about it and just wait and see how it goes....but it will help me, that it is something I really want to do

I have heard it, that mature students often are better focussed and often do well....so, hopefully that will be the same for me

As for getting good grades...I did a little course with the University, in preparation to further Education...and I got a B+, and that did feel good...although....stupidly I felt a tad disappointed that it wasn't an A-, lol.....that of someone who wasn't really that brill in school and finished her nursing with a straight C only....all I worked for back than was to pass, lol....

winemakesmummyclever Tue 12-Aug-08 09:42:21

Oh, there is always a little leeway on housework standards wink!

I have one day a week when ds goes to nursery & I'm free to study at home. I get up, take ds out, come back, do quick round of housework, throw some laundry in and then sit with breakfast sorting emails etc. Then I get my head in the books / uni website. I have to be very strict about not buggering about on the net otherwise the whole day is gone and I've been googling breadmakers and listening to Jeremy Vile on the tv!

Of course, housework can be an excellent way of putting off starting studying in a "oooh, I really really need to clean the cupboards out right now or the world will end" kind of procrastination grin.

I have never aimed to be the top of the class and take the view that I can always resit an assignment. Maybe I'm just a little demotivated and feckless, but I do believe that study is meant to enrich your life, not take over it.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

3andnomore Tue 12-Aug-08 09:47:37

Wmmc, well, I really want to do it right this time...because, well....I want to feel that I am competent when I am an Occupational Therapist....! I never felt that confident and competent as a Nurse...which is partly the reason why I don't want to return into Nursing....!

tiredemma Tue 12-Aug-08 11:47:08

ooooh- Good Luck 3andnomore.

I have no pearls of wisdom as I literally am dragging myself through my course by my nails!!!

winemakesmummyclever Tue 12-Aug-08 12:30:00

Funny, I was a nurse too (ITU) and can NEVER see myself going back into nursing either. Don't miss the mad shift system, no breaks, physical & verbal abuse from pts, doing courses at your own expense in your own time & reaping no reward, inhumane manager and being sent to whichever unit in the trust was short staffed. Cannot complaint too much though as met dh when we worked together, so got something lovely out of the NHS! grin

3andnomore Tue 12-Aug-08 15:22:20

lol wmmc....you certainly got something out of the NHS then
Must admit, if I hadn't been a nurse all those years ago, I probably would never have lived in the town that I did, and therefor I never would have met my dh neither

te, you are at the end of your course now, aren't you? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

tiredemma Tue 12-Aug-08 15:23:01

No- I have one more year left. Then I need to find a job!

3andnomore Tue 12-Aug-08 19:33:42

Oh, 1 more year....but that is still nearish the end Well, the larger part is behind you now, iykwim.
I am sure you will find a job.

Well, for me it will be 3-5 years ahead yet....3 years for Ba (hons) and if I have got the brains to do it, I will do my Masters in OT straight after....as, well...not getting any younger and all that, lol. But, first I have to get through the first 3 years of it all...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now