Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone doing the NCT antenatal training - is it just me that finds it impossible to get hold of anyone at the NCT?

(13 Posts)
Elmosgirl Fri 08-Aug-08 12:20:16

Have decided I want to train to be an antenatal teacher on the NCT course. I REALLY want to do this and as it is a long course I want to get cracking and know that I have a place ASAP.

But am finding it near impossible to get hold of anyone, have emailed branch Chair, one reply then emailed her again to say i wanted to do the course..no reply.

Rang tutor, but she isn't the tutor but apparently she isn't the tutor anymore so rang woman who supposedly is tutor, left message but no reply.

Emailed training manager about clarfying the funding and what I need to do...no reply.

I know lots of these people are volunteers and have other commitments, but how hard is it for someone just to help me out.

Is it always this hard, will I ever get there?

StormInanEcup Fri 08-Aug-08 15:08:11

Message withdrawn

Elmosgirl Fri 08-Aug-08 15:21:20

No just rung specific training people, who at head office would I need to speak to? I assumed it had to be done through my local branch, is that not right?

StormInanEcup Fri 08-Aug-08 15:52:38

Message withdrawn

Elmosgirl Fri 08-Aug-08 16:30:57

Thanks, I have the pack just finding it impossible to contact (and get a response) from my local tutor and the local branch. Will just have to keep trying, your right though probably lots of people on holidays and stuff at the moment.

StormInanEcup Fri 08-Aug-08 16:36:04

Message withdrawn

amazonianadventure Wed 13-Aug-08 12:27:06

you will get there

1. phone tutor again she is your first port of call, you really cant do much else without her.You need to be inverview and fill in application and get references.

2. funding nct will pay 75% and you will pay 25%, can you afford to pay? if not again you need to speak to the tutor,andu can apply for some funding

3.Branch, yeah try them again!

It takes ages to be honest and i dont know anyone who hasnt had problems but if your determined to do it you will take it all in your stride

hth!

elmosgirl Wed 13-Aug-08 12:31:45

Thank you, have now heard from the branch who have said ok. Just need to get a tutor now, problem is the one for my area has literally just changed hands and keep emailing head office for new tutors contact details but they not responding. I will get there, but good to know i'm not the only one who has found it hard.

So to keep me going those who are on the course...tell me all about it, how are you getting on?

amazonianadventure Wed 13-Aug-08 12:34:05

elmosgirl, where abouts are you i can look up a list of tutors for you

MrsMattie Wed 13-Aug-08 12:40:36

Hi there.

I embarked on this training last year (although I have since stopped as I had a change of heart about whether it was what I really wanted to do). It took me almost 2 months to get hold of the application pack and get in touch with a teacher trainer, then another 2 months until I was accepted on to the course. At every stage of the process I felt like I was pulling teeth - everyone soooooo slow and I was raring to go! The NCT is an incredibly bureaucratic and frustrating organisation to deal with.

On the plus side, the course was fantastic once I was on it, although ultimately it wasn't for me.

I would advise you to consider contacting more than one teacher, even if it means you have to travel (tutorials are generally only once a month anyway), as if you pin all your hopes on one teacher you may be disappointed - the tutor groups are often full. Also, are you an NCT member and do you volunteer for them in any capacity? If not, you may want to sign up a.s.a.p and contact your local branch, as they often give preference to members who are actively involved in the NCT (unless you are self funding?).

Good luck. If you persist, you'll get there in the end (!), and it's good preparation for how frustrating it can be for people trying to book antenatal classes!

elmosgirl Wed 13-Aug-08 14:22:13

Thanks...I am a member and have contacted my local branch who have said ok to my training, just need to get everything sorted now.

Can I ask why you changed your mind, was the course not what you expected?

MrsMattie Wed 13-Aug-08 14:36:19

I decided I didn't want to be an antenatal teacher! It was no reflection on the course, really.

jj72 Sat 16-Aug-08 12:07:58

Can I ask a Q or 2. I am thinking of doing the training, but want to know a bit more than what the pack offers. Do you have to attend tuorials every month? when your up and running do you get paid for doing it? Is the training good / well orgainised. Is there any hidden costs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now