Advanced search

considering courses

(16 Posts)
somebody Sat 12-Feb-05 17:05:58

Message withdrawn

Chandra Sun 13-Feb-05 11:31:49

Somebody, I'm not very familiar with British pre-Universitary studies, but bumping it for you. Hope somebody comes with some help soon

colditzmum Sun 13-Feb-05 11:33:56

Hi omebody, I think thta unless you are planning on doing a diploma, the university will insist that you have A levels. Sorry, bad news I know.

colditzmum Sun 13-Feb-05 11:35:38

Although, rereading your message, you may be able to get onto some courses on the strength of your AS levels, depending on which university you apply to and which subject you want to do.

Chandra Sun 13-Feb-05 11:39:23

I have a question, is it a good idea to take some courses with the Open University? I believe that they may not be too strict about the A levels though they will require lots of commitment. In your position as a mum of a young boy the flexibility of the Open may be even a bonus point.

Ellbell Sun 13-Feb-05 19:50:38

Hiya. If I were you, I'd be brave (!) and go and talk to someone at Derby Uni in the department you are interested in. All you have to do is to ring up the department and say 'I'm interested in doing a course in ????, but I don't have A'levels because I had my dd after AS levels. However, I am very serious about getting back into education and I have good ASs (mention your grades). Please could I talk to your admissions tutor and/or arrange a time to come and talk to him/her informally to discuss my best way forward'. I'm sure they'll be happy to give you advice, and it's best to get it from the department you are interested in, because in the end their opinion is the only one that counts.
Good luck.

Beatie Mon 14-Feb-05 09:52:01

I know of someone who did all AS levels and had enough points to get into a good university. It is certainly possible if the course entry requirements are a certain number of points rather than actual grades.

I would certainly speak to the University if I were you. Plus, if you're over 21 when you start the course, they'll often allow you in with fewer qualifications bu tmay wish to interview you or have you submit a piece of work.

Good luck. Don't doubt yourself. Give it a go!

Kelly1978 Mon 14-Feb-05 09:59:39

As a lone parent, you could likely do a course with the Open University for free, as they subsidise students on benefits - this is what I started as a lone parent.
Beatie is right about university entrance. They work on points rather than numbers, and ur grades work out at 17 points - enough to get a place on a reasonable course. You would also be in a better position aged over 21, as a mature student where grades aren't as important.

Ellbell Mon 14-Feb-05 11:19:29

You could definitely get a place on an OU course, and it might be a good way to get back into studying. However, given your situation, I think that you might actually benefit more (not just in terms of your studying, but also socially, etc.) from actually being AT university, rather than having to do most of the work on your own and in private. Would childcare be a problem while you were at university? Most students' unions have subsidised nurseries for students, but they are not free... Definitely give Derby a ring and have a chat with the admissions tutor for the relevant department.
Good luck.
PS Your ASs are really good. Don't feel un-confident. You have shown by getting those results that you have the ability. So... GO FOR IT!

beansontoast Mon 14-Feb-05 11:19:39

hi somebody,
when i was feeling confused and unsure of myself, i found that the nicest and most helpful/friendly people to talk to were the admissions secretaries.
they seem to know everything.

find the prospectus for the college /uni that you are interested in, at your library

..look up the department's phone number

..ask to speak to someone about entry requirements or whatever,say you are confused if you want

...and have a chat

once you start to make enquiries you will discover that it isnt as tricky as you thought.good luck

somebody Mon 14-Feb-05 16:44:43

Message withdrawn

Beatie Tue 15-Feb-05 09:02:50

What is your goal? In what capacity do you wish to work with children?

I believe you can do childcare diplomas (the Cache I think) part time at evening classes.

You'd need to be free to do some blocks of placements during the days but often 6th form colleges have creches that are subsidised so you'd be able to use their childcare facilities.

somebody Tue 15-Feb-05 14:38:06

Message withdrawn

Beatie Tue 15-Feb-05 16:03:14

Somebody - I don't think you have anything to worry about. With your fantastic AS grades you will be more than qualified for a place on a childcare course. Please don't think that the course tutors are going to see you as 'just a young mum' The fact that you are a mother will put you in a very positive light and prove that you fully understand the demands of working with children.

Have a look at this surestart website


somebody Thu 17-Feb-05 11:05:09

Message withdrawn

Beatie Thu 17-Feb-05 13:45:26

My mum went back to college at the age of 40 and took her NNEB - the childcare qualification of the time. She'd left school at 15 with a CSE in needlework! She thoroughly enjoyed the two-year course, made loads of friends young and old and now is a well respected Reception class teaching assistant who loves her job. If she could do it - anyone can.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: