Talk

Advanced search

I'm an OU Associate Lecturer...ask me anything

(29 Posts)
mathsmummy27 Wed 06-Aug-08 21:24:36

Can't recommmend it highly enough, Did degree and PGCE with OU whilst having DD, and am now working for them.

Any questions, fire away........

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 06-Aug-08 21:26:30

Why, given that the rest of Europe is enjoying a heatwave, are we sloshing around in pishing down rain??

DeeRiguer Wed 06-Aug-08 21:30:42

do they have someone you can speak to someone about what it is you can do? career study advisor?

i have degree but thinking of retraining .. need loadsa some help in looking at the options, types of work available after etc..

Califrau Wed 06-Aug-08 21:30:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

retiredgoth Wed 06-Aug-08 21:32:50

....did A103 (Introduction to Humanities) few years ago. Best £500 I have ever spent.

....and am currently looking at the prep materials for MU120 ("Maths for Idiots" I think it's called. Appropriate for me as I am bad at Sums..)

....however I elected to pour a glass of red and bugger about on the interweb instead of doing the "Diagnostic Quiz" tonight.

Sigh.

I love the OU, though. It is a fine thing...

mamaberta Wed 06-Aug-08 21:41:43

I am looking for a way to use my languages degree. I do quite a bit of part time adult FE teaching but at pee-poor rates because I have no PGCE and they are cheapskates. I investigated standard PGCE course at local HE providers(including those that offer flexible learning) but they all made it crystal clear that I had to expect long days and evenings during my teaching practise (should that be practiCe?? am trying to stave off mastitis at moment so head a bit fuzzy). Did you still have to do classroom stints for the OU PGCE or is it specifically designed for on line teachers? Sorry if this is a lame question blush

I would like the opportunity to improve my teaching skills with a proper qualification as I think I'm quite a decent teacher but have 2 kids under 3 and am not prepared to use loads of childcare and DP won't go part time as we are broke enough with him working full time.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Wed 06-Aug-08 21:42:56

what did ds do with my debit card when he was tipping out my purse yesterday?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scoobi6 Wed 06-Aug-08 21:54:10

is your job permanent? or freelance type thing? Do you need to have PGCHE or similar before getting your job? I'm getting tired of being on short term contracts (I'm a postdoc scientist in academia) and I love the teaching side of my job, so looking for a change!

DeeRiguer Thu 07-Aug-08 18:39:57

any answers
or is that jonathon dimbellbee ..

CapricaSix Fri 08-Aug-08 07:46:58

mathsmummy27...i assume your degree ivolves maths in some way! grin I am about to do S104 Exploring Science in sept (providing funding comes through), having only just done the openings course Open to change (GCSE maths about 15 years ago). I have been brushing up on the maths using the Sciences Good Study Guide (maths help) and have also got the Maths for Science course book to dip through. Wondering if that's enough to prepare me for S104?... also, what areas of maths would be best for me to focus on practicing?

SaintDeliasprotegee Fri 08-Aug-08 07:52:04

Califrau - go to the file tab, click export contacts, save to memory stick (if not on same computer) or just as file otherwise. Bob's your uncle.

deanychip Fri 08-Aug-08 07:57:51

whats the cost of ou courses?
can you realy do them as and when? what about course work? can you submit stuff on line or do you have to send hard copies throught he post?

arfishy Fri 08-Aug-08 10:36:57

I have been studying with the OU for years and want to continue while I'm working in Australia. I'm still a UK citizen - how can do the OU overseas (ie get my materials sent to Australia) without paying the extortionate overseas rates for non-UK people?

sandy4 Fri 08-Aug-08 14:57:59

will you be answering any of these questions soon??????????????????????????????????

mathsmummy27 Fri 08-Aug-08 21:00:46

Sorry, internet issues!
Ok *deep breath*..
Pussin JimmyChoos, I am a mathematician and sadly cannot help apart from putting it down to the elusive butterfly effect (ducks and runs)
DeRiguer, call your Regional Centre (details on website) and they will give you loads of friendly career advice.
Califrau - je regrette que je ne sais pas.
Retired goth - I am currently tutoring on that one it's an excellent, interesting and acessible course. Go for it.
mamberta - OU PGCE involves classroom practice but most of it can be completed part-time, so can work around you. You have a max of two years to complete and must do between one and three sets of practice (depending on experience)of up to ten weeks full-time, or part-time equivalent. Hope that makes sense. I did mine with a little one and it worked out ok, but did have DH around to help as he works from home. Hope the mastitis clears up soon nasty.
PhD - in DVD, letterbox or under rug to go by my own past experience...
janitor..is it the cogs turning in my pregnant brain?

scoobi6 - permanent, lots of great benefits. They also put you at the top of the list when interviewing for similar courses, and excellent CPD.
CapricaSix, sounds OK but not too familiar with that particular course, presumably you need a good background in statistics and linear relationships, also a graphics calculator might save you time.
Saintdelia - many thanks!

Deanychip - can be expensive but to date I haven't paid a thing, lots of financial help available if your household income below about 25-30K, also Parent's Learning Allowance, Dependents' Grant etc so check it out with Regional Centre.
Also all course are free if you work with them . They are extremely flexible, most courses now have ETMAs (electronic tutor-marked assignements) which gives you the option of sending by e-mail as well as snail mail. Most courses run over nine months and some have two different presentations a year, eg one I'm doing now finishes in Sept so I have the lovely long hols to do final assignment.
arfishy - another one I can't really answer I'm afraid as I've little experience in that area - could try ringing the Registration people as they have been excellent for me in the past.

phew. grin

ilovemydog Fri 08-Aug-08 21:02:46

Why am I sooo tired all the time? smile

mathsmummy27 Fri 08-Aug-08 21:12:31

mmm - pregnant? Children? Tiring job? Supermum syndrome?

CapricaSix Fri 08-Aug-08 22:12:26

Thanks
"eg one I'm doing now finishes in Sept so I have the lovely long hols to do final assignment"
grin - I am starting mine in sept so it finishes in June to AVOID having to do any studying in the "lovely long hols"! I have more time in term time i.e. when dd is at school... i always go a little nuts with mumdom in the summer hols (even though I work part time!)

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 08-Aug-08 22:16:50

My sister is a mathematician too!! I'm not a maths fan but I am into physics, chaos, black holes etc - and string theory!! Wow...smile

KatyMac Fri 08-Aug-08 22:21:12

I am struggling to chose betwen studying childcare or managment

With OU I could do a combined degree - however I do not know if this y=would meet the requirements for nursery managers to have degrees by 2015

Any ideas what I should chose or how I would find out?

mathsmummy27 Fri 08-Aug-08 22:43:18

CapricaSix - I know the feeling, now my DD is 2.5 and needs entertaining....
Puss - I love string theory. And I've often thought that if Schrodinger was female, the cat in the box would have been the two weeks after possible conception....wink

Katy - worth talking to Regional centre as they have careers advisors. I would have thought a combined degree wold be ideal - mine contains Maths, Englsih, Education, Art and Philosophy..and always seen as an asset.

KatyMac Fri 08-Aug-08 22:55:15

Thanks

It's hard to decide

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 08-Aug-08 23:25:52

Oooh - what an interesting concept maths mummy! That's fab!! I've read a fab string theory book but have forgotten the author...brian something I think??? He presented a series on string theory a few years back on TV and it was good!!!

cathcat Fri 08-Aug-08 23:43:16

I have just done a 10 point science course. Is it true you only need 40% to pass? last night I dreamt I got 39% and woke up really cross...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now