Talk

Advanced search

crazy to start LLB with baby due in January?

(14 Posts)
Ginni Wed 30-Jul-08 17:22:54

My first baby is due Jan 2nd and i'm considering starting a graduate entry LLB with London University External Programme, starting in October this year. I'd be working full time until December, then on maternity leave until June 09, when my first year exams would be due. The course is all distance learning which would be great for the flexibility. I'd chose the three year option, part-time route.

Is this a completely crazy idea? Has anyone else studied successfully whilst having a baby right in the middle of their first year? How did you find it?

Any thoughts on the External Programme? It's a damn sight cheaper than doing the usual graduate conversion courses, and I like studying distance learning, but am wondering if the reputation is any good?

TIA x

Ginni Thu 31-Jul-08 21:48:45

Maybe I should have rephrased this topic "What's it like studying with a newborn baby - is it even possible?" Anyone????

georgimama Thu 31-Jul-08 21:52:28

Not crazy at all, I did my LPC part time distance learning, pregnant in first year, new born in second year. Yes it was hard sometimes but it bloody focuses the mind.

Don't know how cost compares to GDL or CPE(which is what I did before LPC), but it's a good plan and a good career. I have just got a training contract starting October. Good luck!!

reethi96 Thu 31-Jul-08 21:53:29

For me, studying with a newborn baby was easy.

Studying with a 6 month old baby was interesting...

Studying with a 9 month old baby was challenging.

Studying with a one year old was impossible!

I jacked it in when ds turned 1, for me it was impossible. You need to be extremely organised and have supportive family. Be prepared for half of your brain wanting to think of ideas for your assignment and the other half of your brain urging to think of activities to do with your baby. It is hard.

Ginni Fri 01-Aug-08 17:41:17

My career has become stagnant and I'd desperate for a change of direction and law looks great. I don't have alot of support down in London with no close friends and only one family member. I don't even know how involved the father wants to be either. I was thinking of moving back up north if daddy decides he's not really interested in my daughter to be closer to my family anyway. But that depends on whether I can sell my house :-/

I'm so excited by the thought of studying again, but I want to be realistic about what it will be like with my baby.

georgimama and reethi96 were you working full time whilst you studied part time as well?

georgimama Fri 01-Aug-08 17:59:27

Yes, working full time as well. And DH, lovely as he is, is pretty unreconstructed so its not like I was getting masses of help with housework or baby.

It can be done if you want it - UWE in Bristol are fantastically supportive of their part time law students, don't know if they offer a part time LLB - is it very much cheaper than the CPE? Just thinking CPE/LPC would be quicker, even part time.

reethi96 Fri 01-Aug-08 18:03:08

No I was a SAHM. blush

I do agree with georgimama just make sure that you are really organised before you start and accept that it gets harder as the child gets older. I would go for it you don't know until you try. smile

University of Hertfordshire (St Albans) offer a part time LLB course which might be worth a look at.

Ginni Fri 01-Aug-08 21:03:52

London Uni External offer the LLB Graduate entry over either two or three years, £2176 or £3516 respectively, for the whole course, so much cheaper than any other i've found. If I find i'm managing ok then even if I register for the three year degree, I might be able to reduce it to two years.

I really think i'm going to go for it, come what may grin I can always spread it over 8 years if necessary, even if that means i'd be too old to find somewhere willing to train me!

georgimama Fri 01-Aug-08 21:10:20

You won't be too old, I am told that the average age of solicitor admitted to roll is 34. For all those 23/24 year olds staight from uni there must be a lot well over 34 to make that the average.

Ginni Fri 01-Aug-08 21:21:17

That's very reassuring to hear! BTW how did you find getting a training contract out of interest as i've heard it can be tough

georgimama Fri 01-Aug-08 21:35:37

It is tough, I made quite a lot of applications (most close 31st July) but also did some random apps to smaller firms after some googling, and it was a small firm who offered me an interview last month which led to an offer. I think once you have done the LPC you are more marketable, as they don't have to wait or pay for you.

Are you working? What do you do? If you can afford to take the pay cut, it is worth getting in as a legal assistant/paralegal, it really helps to have something on CV other than just the qualifications. I am 29 and I think just having been at work for the last 8.5 years since graduating helped - most raw grads have no clue even how to behave in an office.

Ginni Fri 01-Aug-08 21:57:21

I work in mental healthcare management, and am also 29. I'm not sure whether or not I could afford a paycut, it's something i've been thinking alot about as i'm so keep to move out of my current profession asap and know that i'll need to take a step back before I can take a step forward. I'll have to do some research about legal assistant/paralegal salaries and do my maths to see if I could still pay my bills and get into it after my maternity leave. I might even be able to do my current job part time and some legal work part time too. So many options!

georgimama Fri 01-Aug-08 22:08:49

Well I am sure you can think of ways to make that applicable to a legal role (client relationship management, managing a case load, prioritising etc etc) but if you could go part time and do a legal assistant role part time too I think it would help a lot.

tw70 Mon 01-Sep-08 12:53:46

Ginni - I know this is a bit of an old thread, but from what I understand the external course is run by some really good people. It is jointly run by by a number of the University of London colleges, and they have pretty good standing in the legal field.

Think about it - you get to choose the best lecturers from a number of different colleges!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: