Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm going to do it, You can't talk me out of it. I'm going to apply to do the course of my dreams. Wish me luck....

(49 Posts)
AvenaLife Thu 24-Jul-08 23:33:51

I have 6 weeks to improve my chemistry knowledge by 12%. Do you think I'll do it?

I'm going to apply to train as a doctor. I've had enough of being a student nurse and teaching the medical students. I know alot and I will be so good.

Wish me luck, I really want this. grin Thans in advance. I might not apply but I will read and be so very grateful.

Bowddee Thu 24-Jul-08 23:36:16

Good luck! xx.

Ellbell Thu 24-Jul-08 23:38:03

Go for it!

A former student of mine (in a completely non-scientific, non-medical discipline) did a 'medicine conversion course' thing and then a medicine degree. She must be a doctor by now.

12% is nothing... You can do that easily (says the woman whose chemistry teacher at school described her as 'thick, thick, thick, thick thick'!).

grin

wrinklytum Thu 24-Jul-08 23:38:17

A bit confused...Why 12%

How are you a student nurse and teaching med students?Why not apply for med training straight off??

"I know a lot and will be so good" hmm I feel this could be construed as a tad arrogant????

Good luck anyhow.

RambleOn Thu 24-Jul-08 23:38:37

Good luck grin

Course you'll do it if you really want it.

S1ur Thu 24-Jul-08 23:38:47

Good luck.

Lots of positive chem related vibes. Like well meaning molecules heading your way.

RambleOn Thu 24-Jul-08 23:39:32

Not arrogant, confident. smile

AvenaLife Thu 24-Jul-08 23:41:18

I didn't have any confidence in myself blush. I teach them on the ward (when they ask questions). I sat the exam to get on the course a couple of years ago (I had glandular fever) and missed out by a few marks because of the chemistry.

I need to bump my moral up a bit. smile
It's a 4 year course for graduates.

AvenaLife Thu 24-Jul-08 23:41:59

grin Thankyou XXX

phatcat Thu 24-Jul-08 23:42:50

you go girl! I sometimes think about medical training but realistically am aiming for nurse training when my youngest is at school. I'm currently working as an auxiliary for the experience and I love it. If I was 10 years younger I'd be joining you. Go for it and enjoy - I'm sure it will be worth all the hardship.

wrinklytum Thu 24-Jul-08 23:43:03

Good for you,then

Nursing and medicine are complementary but VERY different.

I did biochemistry alongside the chem/bio students as part of my nursing degree aeons ago.I am quite thick so only just scraped through

Why didn't you apply for medicine outright?(nosey emoticon!)

phatcat Thu 24-Jul-08 23:44:03

4 years?! Really? Link please!

wrinklytum Thu 24-Jul-08 23:49:17

Big scramble for junior doc places at the moment though due to recent changes in training.Its been a big mess up by the Government.

AvenaLife Thu 24-Jul-08 23:50:51

Wrinklytum: I didn't think I was good enough. sad I've always wanted to do this but things always get in the way. It's been a very long journey. I couldn't apply at 18, I have never been supported and didn't come from a home that was conjunctive to learning if you know what I mean. I had to work part time through my GCSE's and A levels because my parents had problems and couldn't support me at all. My father was an alcoholic and my mum has mental health problems so I've always had to put others first. I was told to go into nursing at school because they said the Universities didn't give places to people like me. I can do it now though! Nursing isn't me at all. grin

Thankyou all!

AvenaLife Thu 24-Jul-08 23:51:59

gem.nottingham.ac.uk Link for phatcat.

wrinklytum Thu 24-Jul-08 23:52:49

Good luck Avenelife,if you have the determination and passion you will do it
I often think it isn't for me despite 13 odd years of doing it

wrinklytum Thu 24-Jul-08 23:58:13

I think changes in working time directive have made it slightly lass horrendous re medicine,but I admire the junior docs I work with-its a thankless task at 3
am debating if you should make a judgement call or drag an arsey consultant from their pit and then be bright breezy and on the ball for ward round the next morning and well into the next day and be harangued by zillions of nurses asking you to px paracetomol at 1am of see someone cos "theyre just not right" and cover 4 wards cos your colleague has phoned in sick and theres no locum to cover etc etc....and the endles exams....

wrinklytum Thu 24-Jul-08 23:59:28

Blardy hell...terrible typos...sorry!!!

AvenaLife Fri 25-Jul-08 00:01:57

Yes, there's that. But it's great! (or am I just a sadist hmm) Ds will be old enough to fend for himself by the time I finish so I won't have to worry about childcare. I'm just happy in my bubble smile. It'll be the best thing I've ever done (apart from ds).

Do you fancy helping with the chemistry? grin Please?

wrinklytum Fri 25-Jul-08 00:08:27

I would if I were any good at it!!

I know normal blood values for BCP and FBC and gases and crap but am pretty useless at stuff I don't use everyday!!!!

Could you ask the med students you work with for some tips,or "shadow" them at work,or ask for advice from the med school about what they expect-look at previous admissions tests etc,or look for a chemistry private tutor???

AvenaLife Fri 25-Jul-08 00:14:27

It's organic chemistry. I've got ds to help me during the holidays (it keeps him off the laptop!) I get most of it except for a tiny bit of naming alkanes. I bet it won't even come up on the exam. I'm still registered as a student nurse so I can use the medical school library. I can do all the rest apart from the naming of the branches that doesn't make sense. Or maybe it's the wine. hmm

I don't suppose you know what happens to the pressure in the eye if someone goes deep sea diving at all?Would the fluid osmose (if that's a word)out, increase or stay the same? I don't get genetics either. But I will! grin

wrinklytum Fri 25-Jul-08 00:18:11

I have no idea,sorry!!!(Thick emoticon!)

I am sure there are chermists/biologists on mumsnet....start a thread on alkanes and keep bumping it...Likewise on eye pressures....Good luck

wrinklytum Fri 25-Jul-08 00:19:12

chermists!! Chemists see I can't even spell

AvenaLife Fri 25-Jul-08 00:20:30

Thanks. smile

RambleOn Fri 25-Jul-08 00:25:55

Avena - what's your problem with alkanes?

Chem degree, but bloody yonks ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now