Talk

Advanced search

come and tell me how you arrange child care while you are studying

(5 Posts)
beansmum Mon 21-Jul-08 19:21:38

I'm going back to uni in feb to start a 5 year degree. ds will be at nursery (hopefully, he's on a lot of waiting lists) for the first 3 months but will then start school. I will probably need some kind of after school care and poss mornings too depending on my timetable.

What are my options? What do you do?

SubRosa Mon 21-Jul-08 19:33:33

Your LEA will have a list of approved after school care providers and childminders. If you contact your county council, they should be able to give you all the details you need.

I'd double check with your uni that your timetable is confirmed, as I've had trouble having to change days at short notice.

Sorry if this isn't much help

beansmum Mon 21-Jul-08 19:42:03

It's in nz, but they do have after school clubs etc. I was just wondering if that is the best way to go. Would a childminder be more flexible? And what do you do during school holidays when they don't coincide with uni hols?

My timetable isn't definite at the mo, but I will know for sure by the time it comes to ds starting school.

SubRosa Mon 21-Jul-08 19:54:20

I was lucky to find a really good childminder who would do extra hours at short notice. Occasionally, when school and uni holidays don't coincide, I've had to ask dh and/or trustworthy friends to look after dd.

Acinonyx Mon 21-Jul-08 20:29:55

I have a childminder 3 days/week who can also do before and after school care (dd starts school next year). She's pretty flexible too. It's been MUCH better than nursery care - and cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now