Talk

Advanced search

Starting PGCE in 6 weeks - any positive experiences of studying with a baby?

(8 Posts)
Joanna82 Sun 20-Jul-08 20:12:13

So yes I have a nine month old and I'm about to embark on this beast of a course. Am I insane? I do want to be a teacher but I can see my life over the next few years as being very hard. I'm getting the jitters.

It doesn't help that most people seem to be quite negative about PGCEs (often referring to them as total hell etc ... v helpful sad) and about teaching in general. It's so annoying because it's such a fascinating and worthwhile profession. People don't respect it enough! I'm going to be doing Secondary English.

I have always wanted to be an English teacher actually, and had a place on last year's course, but I had to defer when I found out that I was pregnant with DS. I bet it would have been easier last year too, and I'd have been given a bigger bursary!

Anyone had a good experience? Any words of advice?

allgonebellyup Tue 22-Jul-08 17:53:02

i also get annoyed with people tellimg me how horrible its meant to be!
i have come across a couple of MNers who have said its been the best year of their life!

I am also (planning on)doing the PGCE in Secondary English, although i might be veering towards RE at the mo, partly cos of the financial incentives!!!

Good luck doing it with the baby, you will be fine im sure. I have 2 dc ages 4 and 8, have no partner and not much support. Do you have a partner to help out?

Joanna82 Wed 23-Jul-08 15:30:11

Yes, I do have a partner and I know that he will be supportive so I'm very lucky. I think it will be fine and I know best for baby too despite feeling guilty about how busy I will be.

If I'm honest I think that I will miss out on some special things by being so busy but it's not just ambition, it's necessity. We hardly have two pennies to rub together at them moment and I don't want DS growing up in a home where everyone is always worried about money.

It was like this for me as a child and it wasn't nice.

Good luck with your course and thanks for replying to my thread.

allgonebellyup Thu 24-Jul-08 09:03:09

Sounds like you will be ok!!
Is there any chance of doing your PGCE part time?

Romy7 Thu 24-Jul-08 09:08:39

had dd1 at the beginning of third year - it was fine. finishing my dissertation whilst typing one handed at 3 am bfing was entertaining. she came to the graduation and looked like phil mitchell in a frock - it'll be fine! good luck!

syrup Sun 27-Jul-08 18:44:26

Hi
I have just finished my PGCE secondary science and have two boys 4 & 6. The course was hard work and I had to be very organised however I really enjoyed it. I personally would ignore all the negativity surrounding the course as it was only a fraction as tough as I thought it would be, I was aiming for the pass level professional cert but somehow ended up with Postgrad cert with maximum masters credits a distinction and an essay which is due to be published shock!!!!!!
I started at my new school the day after I finished (4 weeks ago) and am now being paid for 6 weeks holiday...Therefore I would describe the PGCE as the best thing I could have done and I wish you all the luck with it. grin

syrup Sun 27-Jul-08 18:44:26

Hi
I have just finished my PGCE secondary science and have two boys 4 & 6. The course was hard work and I had to be very organised however I really enjoyed it. I personally would ignore all the negativity surrounding the course as it was only a fraction as tough as I thought it would be, I was aiming for the pass level professional cert but somehow ended up with Postgrad cert with maximum masters credits a distinction and an essay which is due to be published shock!!!!!!
I started at my new school the day after I finished (4 weeks ago) and am now being paid for 6 weeks holiday...Therefore I would describe the PGCE as the best thing I could have done and I wish you all the luck with it. grin

syrup Sun 27-Jul-08 18:47:15

Oh sorry twitchy fingers blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now