Talk

Advanced search

Advice on part time Nursing Diploma please :)

(6 Posts)
pucca Thu 17-Jul-08 23:53:15

I am looking at completing Introduction to HE, and Foundation studies course asap, in order to apply for a Nursing Diploma, will most likely do the diploma part time, can anyone give me an idea of what sort of hours i would need childcare for?

How many hours placement would be required if i did the part time option? and how many hours at actual Uni?

What sort of things are asked at the interview for the Uni place?

I am hoping someone on here does this course on a part time basis.

Thanks in advance smile

retiredgoth Fri 18-Jul-08 00:14:15

....my understanding is that the part time courses equate to working 22.5 hours per week, and take 5 years to complete.

Placement hours vary, depending on the nature of the area in which you are working, but there is quite a lot of community nursing involved (this can always be squeezed into school hours). As a rule you will spend 14 week placements in various settings, punctuated with the odd study day and with blocks of college time of several weeks duration.

...the "academic" input is po-faced and minimal. You will be told that it is exacting and time consuming by the colleges, in fact the contact time will be comparatively small, so study time will depend upon your temperament and needs.

...I would recommend investigating a full time course. The child care is not very much more, and you will finish in 3 years not 5. Some recent "mature" nursing students of my acquaintance have expressed regret at taking the 5 year option...

...as for interview, well if you are keen and committed enough to have fought your way through foundation courses you will be accepted whatever. I speak as one who has interviewed for these places...

Good luck! It is a pretty good thing to do, really.

retiredgoth Fri 18-Jul-08 00:18:07

....and don't be talked into doing a degree course, either.

You get more money doing the Diploma, don't have to pay it back, and it makes very little difference to your subsequent career.

canofworms Fri 18-Jul-08 00:23:13

Depends if you want a "career" rg or just a job imo whether you do degree or diploma. Degree certainly get you further in th e long-term and save you doing it part-time later......

Sawyer64 Fri 18-Jul-08 02:15:50

Some Uni's/Poly's etc. have Childcare facillities on site,so you can drop them off when you start and pick them up when you finish,no seperate arrangements.

tiredemma Fri 18-Jul-08 07:33:16

Pucca, I replied to your post on the 'Personal statement' thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now