Talk

Advanced search

Anyone studying for an OU law degree ?????

(11 Posts)
sandy4 Tue 15-Jul-08 10:34:20

I know this is a long shot, but I am currently working my way through an OU law foundation course (W100).

If anyone who is studying law or has completed a law degree could recommend any books they found especially helpful, I would be very grateful.

chitchat07 Wed 16-Jul-08 20:50:58

sandy4 - I've taught law at university level. I don't think there's any one book I could recommend, because every course is run slightly differently (I don't have any experience with the foundation course, though). It all depends on what it is that you're having problems with. I think law requires a different approach than other subjects, but once you get the hang of that it goes quite smoothly.

If there's any particular question that you would like to ask, feel free to email me on
twmail07-mumsnet AT yahoo.co.uk

sandy4 Wed 16-Jul-08 23:38:09

thankyou for replying!! I love the course, but I don't think I am 'getting it' yet when it comes to approaching legal problem questions.

Is it just a case of lots of practise?

chitchat07 Wed 23-Jul-08 11:28:43

It's a bit hard to explain - but I'll give it a try!

For every 'fact' - there is somewhere that it comes from. You have to get into the habit of always thinking of them together, and putting them down on paper together.

Regarding 'problem' questions - ones where you are given a legal scenario and have to explain what the legal position is - it helps to think of it as a flow chart.

You start at point A your scenario. What is the area of law you are looking at - identify it (not always easy!!)

- what are the various options from that point? (List them in your answer)(Each option has some law as 'proof' - whether it be a statute, regulation, or case. So you have options B1 (Sec ... of statute ...) or option B2 (Sec ... of statute ...). You choose B2 - because it is fits that section better (and there may be case examples of other cases which match your scenario or closely resemble it).

Then you have a choice between C1, C2, C3, and you do the same thing - listing the 'evidence' alongside in brackets. (No need to give details, just the section and act, or the case name).

You do this all the way to the end, almost like a flow chart. You have to explain why you are choosing that path at all times.

Also, remember that you are looking at what is the most likely answer. There are not very many answers which will be absolutely right. So you should usually include something like 'it will more likely be' or 'based on the similarity between this situation and case X the ... is the most likely answer'. They can range from, possibly/probably, to highly likely, depending on how much case law there is in the area.

With cases, the scenario of the actual case is rarely what you need to focus on (although the scenario does help you to remember the case). It is the points of law which you need to remember. Your biggest clue is the handouts you will receive. Cases will be listed under headings, and it is that point of law which you are looking for. Cases can have several different points of law, so don't mix them up!

Make sure your personal notes cover these points clearly. I found setting it out in a table form helpful. Column 1 is the case name, column 2 is some details about the case (which will help you remember the case, or help you differentate it from other cases where there is a different judgement) and column 3 is the point of law. Put the heading from your notes in bold, then a brief little summary if needed (5 - 10 words usually) and maybe a quote, including who said it - (if you can remember the judge who made the point of law your answer will sound even better!). If your table is clearly set out, then you can even get a non legal person to quiz you on it to help you remember it for your exams (because this is the knowledge that you need to have in your head).

Hope this helps!!!!

sandy4 Sat 26-Jul-08 15:57:49

thank you so much for that. I will put it into practice on my next assignment!

ChopsTheDuck Sun 27-Jul-08 08:06:48

have you tried asking for a model answer? your tutor should be able to supply one.

I think the flow chart analogy is spot on. I make big spider like diagrams for revision to help me find my route through an arguement, and make sure I don't miss anything.

lastly, do use the consolidation activity answers to help you. I find that they give me a lot of planning help and help me form my answers more concisely. word limits are so tight you really do have to make sure every word you include is necessary.

in now on w300. if I can help at all feel free to cat me.

sandy4 Mon 28-Jul-08 08:41:24

thanks for that, chops. i'm now for tutor to respond to question about model answers. feeling a bit more confident about continuing onto w200.

tinytoessize4 Sun 03-Aug-08 20:40:58

hey there! im half way through the ou law degree - just studying w201 and w100. not long left to go really for w100. have signed up for w200 for next year then just w300 left to do! the end is in sight! are you enjoying it?

sandy4 Sun 03-Aug-08 21:27:57

hi tinytoes! yes, i am enjoying the course, are you? i am finding it to be very challenging though, so have decided to substitute last essay & concentrate on 30-ECA.

i am going to sign up for W200 for next year.
are you studying both w201 & w100 at the moment?? that must be a lot of hard work...

tinytoessize4 Mon 04-Aug-08 20:27:19

hi sandy, yep, am studying both w201 and w100 at the same time - and trying look after my little 1yr old! its all go here! might just scrap through both, lol. Really enjoying it though. Have used my sub on etma 06 as was decorating the house. just cramming etma 05 for w201 in now! and then theres an exam to go! Have you linked w100 to the cert legal studies? be good to get a piece of paper for it! and link w200 and w201 to the dip eng law!

sandy4 Tue 05-Aug-08 18:53:33

thanks for that - didn't know about linking w200 & w201! seems a long way off!... good luck with exam & rest of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now