Talk

Advanced search

Certificate in Early years practice

(10 Posts)
MegGriffin Mon 14-Jul-08 17:36:31

Hello, has anyone done this course? I finished my DPP level 3 last December and would like to gain a level 4. It seems that this course can be done on it's own or as a part of the foundation degree. My questions are
1) How long did it take you. It says on the web site 2 years part time, is that a fair assumption?
2) Is it very difficult at this level. I was never very academic at school, although I did get straight A s in my DPP which really shocked me.
3) Were you able to secure funding from the Early years department/transformation fund or did you have to pay for it?
Any feed back/advice would be really appreciated. Thankyou.

MegGriffin Mon 14-Jul-08 17:44:05

This is with OU btw

Clayhead Mon 14-Jul-08 17:44:11

I've done it! (Take it you mean the OU one?)

1) I did both courses simultaneously which was slightly mad but led to me being qualified more quickly, in 11 months from starting in the February. There is a slight overlap. I already had a degree but hadn't studied in years so it took a bit of getting used to but I found it doable and never missed a deadline. Looking back eighteen months on, I would say the content was well thought through.

2) Not too difficult at all. I was fairly academic but very much out of practice. The course materials were excellent and the course reader and file had virtually all the information you needed in it. My tutors' comments were very useful and their feedback thorough.

3) I paid for it but didn't try to get funding.

HTH!

Clayhead Mon 14-Jul-08 17:44:32

Sorry, crossed posts about the OU thing! smile

MegGriffin Mon 14-Jul-08 17:52:38

Thankyou Clayhead, thats exactly the sort of info I am looking for. When I was at school I only left with one O level and lots of CSEs so I did not have much confidence in my academic skills. However I have just achieved really good results for my DPP and have got the bug for learning. I will be doing this course for myself and to improve my practice, not as a requirement from work or anything so I am in no rush to achieve level 4. The first part is starting in October so perhaps I will be brave and go for it!

Clayhead Mon 14-Jul-08 17:57:33

I would definitely recommend it. I found the information with the course clear and easy to understand and there was plenty of help around - I didn't go to any seminars as they weren't compulsory but they were there if you needed them as was lots of on line help.

I thought the content was very relevant to me (I help in a pre-school) and what I see and has helped in my understanding of the EYFS.

MegGriffin Mon 14-Jul-08 18:08:52

I am also in pre-school so it sounds really appealing. I hope to move on in the future and expand my knowledge working in other settings such as school and I hope this qualification will mean something to them as well? You must have worked damn hard to do two at the sam time.

MegGriffin Mon 14-Jul-08 18:09:32

same

dylsmum1998 Wed 16-Jul-08 18:33:29

hi, i did both simultaneously and was working full time whilst doind it. as clayhead asaid virtually all info needed is in course materials.
i have always enjoyed [saddo emotican] studying and really did enjoy those courses

MegGriffin Thu 17-Jul-08 21:20:14

I have asked our training officer at work to see if I can get funding as that is another consideration to this. All your comments are so positive and I will definitely go ahead if I can get funding. I am looking forward to studying again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now