Talk

Advanced search

Would I be rash to launch straight into OU Level 1 Science?

(9 Posts)
CapricaSix Thu 10-Jul-08 18:50:49

I want to do the Exploring Science, 60 pt Level 1 course, and was intending to wait until next Sept to do it, so that I could do Start in Science first this Sept, and maybe one or two other short courses too, to brush up on the maths etc.

However I'm beginning to think I just can't wait that long (and don't want to do it jan-oct because I'd rather like to avoid studying 60 pts during the summer holidays!)

Tell me if I'm prob too late to apply now anyway (need to apply for funding too), but....

Apart from the Openings course "Open to change" that I just finished, I haven't studied since A Level, and then only got 1 A Level (Music!), but I was good at Maths & Science in school. When I did the Are you ready for Level 1 Science? test on the OU website i struggled a bit with the maths section cos I obv couldn't remember much of it, though it all rang bells from GCSE, but I'm wondering if i would be able to pick it up quite quickly anyway, or if there is any book I could get that could help me prepare this summer or something?

It just seems a pity to wait a whole year to do it, and who knows how my circumstances (personal, financial) might change by then? Any thoughts? Anyone done it (or Discovering Science as it was called before) and can share their experience? tia

Roskva Thu 10-Jul-08 21:09:07

I did Discovering Science a couple of years ago, after only having done one short course, and in terms of content, I don't think the short course helped at all. I found the teaching materials on the discovering science course excellent, and if you get really stuck with anything, you can contact your tutor. I don't know how much the course has changed since I did it, but the one I did started with easier modules, and the more difficult ones (for me chemistry and physics) came later in the course. All the maths was fully explained in a way that made it interesting (schools could learn a lot from the OU). I don't know about funding - I wasn't eligible for any at the time.

Valhalla Fri 11-Jul-08 11:41:36

I went recently to an open day at the Open Uni near me and looked through the science materials for Exploring Science. It looks like a fantastic course and the tutor I was talking to was really helpful and friendly.

If you've got a good GCSE pass in Maths I think you'll be okay and the OU tutors are really helpful. But what you could do is look out for people selling their old courses of Maths for Science or the Starting with Maths short course material on ebay. I think you can also actually just buy the Maths for Science text book direct from the OU or Amazon. You could use this to work through any bits of maths you're rusty with.

I would take the plunge and do the course and get 60 points in the bag - good luck!

CapricaSix Mon 14-Jul-08 13:29:48

Do you know about funding though? I'm wondering if it is a bit late to apply now.

CapricaSix Mon 14-Jul-08 13:30:20

Sorry, that was rather brief, my lunch break is almost over! Thanks for your replies! Exciting

CapricaSix Wed 16-Jul-08 17:05:59

Hello all,

Just thought I'd let you know I've registered for Exploring Science for this sept! I just have to apply for funding and hope that it comes through in time. I found out I can cancel up till the start date anyway if I change my mind, so that's ok.

I've ordered the Maths for Science book and I already have the Science Good Study Guide too so I will be swotting up this summer!

Thanks for all your advice. It is scary but quite exciting! - i have to keep reminding myself that this is the course I really wanted to do ! No point putting it off unecessarily I think...

smileyhappymummy Fri 18-Jul-08 15:16:22

husband did this last year - he hadn't done maths /science since school and only gcses then. I was so proud of him, he got 90% and that was despite our dd arriving and refusing to sleep for more than 10 minutes at a time in the middle of the course. He really enjoyed it too, and is now due to start an ecology degree this autumn.
so I reckon you can definitely do it, and good luck!

CapricaSix Tue 22-Jul-08 20:17:07

Thank you. I am in process of sorting out my funding application.

CapricaSix Tue 29-Jul-08 13:03:59

Hello all, having started on the Maths for Science course book (not doing the course itself though) and also dipped into the maths help page of the Sciences Good Study Guide, I am now wanting to know, which aspects of maths would it be best for me to concentrate on in preparation for Exploring Science? It would be a waste of time if I concentrated too much on something that would end up not very helpful on the course.

Valhalla - I read on the Maths for Science page that it was inadvisable to do that course before Exploring Science!! ah well, can't hurt to work through bits of the book.

TIA!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now