Talk

Advanced search

Interview

(18 Posts)
joash Wed 02-Feb-05 00:51:03

Help, received a letter TODAY from Cornwall college - I've got an interview for the BSc in Social Work, on Friday. The letter was dated 21st Jan. Managed to organise hotel, etc. Done essay that they require. They also want another reference that's specifically about work I've done with 'vulnerable' individuals or groups. I'm supposed to take it with me... there's no-way that I can I get that done, I'd need it for tommorrow as we're travelling down on Thursday. I've contacted a relevant person who's happy to do the ref, but, I've got to send the form to her and then she has to get it back to me...do you think they'll mind if I send the reference on after the interview day?

I'm getting very nervous.

sallystrawberry Wed 02-Feb-05 01:00:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JanH Wed 02-Feb-05 09:22:14

Oooh, joash, that's great, well done on getting the interview (and organising all that in such a short time!), GOOD LUCK!!!

DD2 (who is not the best correspondent in the world but will email you!) also required a reference for an interview, but they were OK about her getting it later and sending it in. Another letter said "bring proof of qualifications", but we can't find her A Level certs, and then they didn't ask for them anyway, although I suppose she will have to produce them at some point.

Moomina Wed 02-Feb-05 09:50:49

I'm sure it will be okay, but probably best to give the college a ring and inform them of the situation anyway. As long as they have the reference in time to offer you a place , I don't expect it would be a big problem.

Good luck!

joash Wed 02-Feb-05 17:10:48

Hi all. APologies for not replying straight away. I posted this thread and suddenly realised the time, so took myself off to bed.

I've contacted the college - there's no problem at all about delaying the reference. I sort of knew that there wouldn't be, but the hassle of having to sort things out so quickly got to me and I needed something to whinge about. Anyway, I'm off, or rather we're off, first thing in the morning and although there's the interview to get through on Friday, I'm really looking forward to a few days peace and quite.

I know what you mean about the proof of qualifications thing Jan. I'ts taken me four hours just to find my certificates and another two to get together the proof of identity stuff for the 'police checks.

Anyway, thank you all for your support. I'll let you know how things went.

joash Sun 06-Feb-05 22:24:43

I'm back. Arrived earlier this evening - Had the interview on Friday.

It was awful. Although I should add that the rest of the group, apart from one woman, also found it gruelling. We all had to be there for 9.00 a. m. for some group activities. All these finished by 10.15 and then we had to wait in this pockey little room until our interview times. Mine was for 4.00pm. I was the last one and by the time I got in, I had a banging headache which was making me feel sick. I had nothing to eat or drink all day and had to contend with everyone else coming out and saying how awful it was.

Anyway - my interview was pretty gruesome. I couldn't have done worse if I had tried to fail. Won't even get a definate rejection for around two weeks.

sallystrawberry Sun 06-Feb-05 22:27:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

joash Sun 06-Feb-05 22:34:17

Nope, we were treat like small children (actually, I wouldn't treat any child like that). We were distinctly told that we couldn't leave the room, except to go to the loo, just in case we were called in to our interviews early.

And then to cap it all off, when I mentioned about childcare for GS - I was told that there were creche facilities, but should decide for myself whether I could do the course with a two year old. I was so knackered, that I just nodded feebly and muttered something along the lines of having done my previous degree with three children under 13, a part time job, a voluntary job and whilst also doing a basic teaching qualification.

joash Sun 06-Feb-05 22:35:38

I have thought about writing a snotty letter, but feel stuck - what if it wasn't as bad as I thought and I get offered a place, what if I don't get offered a palce and then send in the snotty...will I look like a bad loser? Can't win, can I?

JanH Sun 06-Feb-05 22:51:41

Oh, joash

I am shocked that you had to just sit and wait all that time. DD2 had an interview at Leeds (Wakefield campus) where they all had a talk/test paper (10am-11.30am) and then were free until their actual interviews; hers was 1pm so we went into Wakefield and had some lunch and milled around the shops for half an hour.

Wait and see. If everyone found it tough, you might have made a better impression than you thought...but if they do decide to turn you down (more fool them!) then do send in your snotty letter criticising the way you were treated, you have nothing to lose at that point and it may make them think again. It sounds very badly managed

ScummyMummy Sun 06-Feb-05 22:58:15

hey janh- can I have yr fish food?

Sorry for hijack, joash- sorry about rubbish interview too.

JanH Sun 06-Feb-05 22:59:16

Hi, scummy - I replied on goldfish thread - I need your address first!

ScummyMummy Sun 06-Feb-05 23:01:29

Fantastic! (Didn't realise you'd seen it. )

joash Sun 06-Feb-05 23:05:33

JanH - how did DD2 do?

JanH Sun 06-Feb-05 23:09:12

Haven't heard yet, joash! (It was 2 weeks ago on Wednesday and I don't think they gave a timescale.)

She has 3 more interviews in the next 2 weeks - Lancaster, York and Manchester - hopeful that one of those will come up with an offer if Leeds doesn't. [optimistic smile!]

joash Sun 06-Feb-05 23:12:46

Fingers crossed for her. Tell her Good luck from me. .

JanH Sun 06-Feb-05 23:28:46

Thank you, joash! Fingers crossed for you too!

JanH Wed 16-Feb-05 21:32:07

Any news for you yet, joash?

DD2 was declined by Leeds/Wakefield, but there were quite a few mature applicants on her day and she thought they would take priority - has this worked for you????

She had Lancaster last Wed (hasn't heard yet), York today (they only have 16 places ) and Manc tomorrow. She has been offered a place at Preston which is looking like a banker now but she would like to get another offer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now