Talk

Advanced search

gutted

(19 Posts)
sallystrawberry Sat 29-Jan-05 01:31:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gwenick Sat 29-Jan-05 01:35:31

srry to here that - but wow UCAS must have changed some I don't think they even had a website when I applied for Uni in 1996/97! And if they did you certainly couldn't find out stuff like that - had to wait for letters..........

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread - you just suddenly made me feel old LOL

sallystrawberry Sat 29-Jan-05 01:50:49

Moomina Sat 29-Jan-05 08:38:53

Oh, Sally, am so sorry. I can imagine how you must feel - it is gutting to get a rejection.

I wish I had realised you were definitely applying for both nursing and midwifery at the same time. Sorry - you probably won't want to hear this now but your college were certainly wrong to advise you to do so. I am really cross on your behalf and constantly amazed at the amount of crappy advice applicants get from colleges who should know the ropes. I would never, ever advise anyone to apply for both at the same time - sadly it just tends to make them think you're not committed to either.

Would you think about applying again next year? Or how about Clearing? Do CAT me if you want to chat about it or if I can be of any more help. (((())))

JanH Sat 29-Jan-05 11:28:57

Oh, sally, what a horrible disappointment for you

Why did you have to look on the website to find out? Don't they send letters any more?

amynnixmum Sat 29-Jan-05 11:41:27

{{{hugs}}}

sallystrawberry Sat 29-Jan-05 13:58:01

Moomina Sat 29-Jan-05 14:04:29

I really feel for you, Sally. You are not 'a complete failure' though, please don't think that. You were following advice given to you by people you understandably trusted to point you in the right direction. Sadly, you're not by any means the first person I know of who's been given bad advice that has affected their application and if it were me I think I'd find it hard not to wring my tutor's neck.

I'm sure you will be eligible for Clearing anyway - I don't think it matters whether or not you got an interview first time round. I know how much this means to you and really wish you loads and loads of luck. Don't give up - the nursing route to midwifery is regarded by some as better anyway You'll get there.

sallystrawberry Sat 29-Jan-05 19:36:31

nikcola Sat 29-Jan-05 19:38:15

{{{{{{{{{{[hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

suedonim Sat 29-Jan-05 21:57:27

Sally, my dd is applying for uni and, for reasons too boring to go into, is appealing to change her choices. Is it worth you approaching UCAS telling them you were badly advised by your college and asking if you can re-apply? Or contacting the uni dept directly, which is another route we've been told is quite useful? I do apologise if this isn't relevant to nursing/mw degrees, I just thought it might be useful.

Janh, UCAS is all trendy, fancy, computerised stuff now, you know!! Dd even applied electronically, there's no slaving over a form with a pint of tippex to correct your mistakes.

Smurfgirl Mon 31-Jan-05 22:19:12

Did you apply through NMAS as well? Is it worth putting an application in for that now? I applied about this time last year and was interviewed for January entry for the diploma.

You are eligible for clearing with UCAS though, but thats not until August.

sallystrawberry Tue 01-Feb-05 15:10:14

JanH Tue 01-Feb-05 15:15:15

450 applicants for 20 places?

I hope that makes you feel a little bit better about it, Sally? But why on earth are there so few places?

sallystrawberry Tue 01-Feb-05 15:20:43

Moomina Tue 01-Feb-05 18:13:04

There are so few midwifery places at least partly because there are so few midwives. Therefore there is no-one to mentor/train students on the clinical placements. The hospitals can only take a small number of students every year, so the unis can only provide a small number of places for people to train as midwives. It was exactly the same at King's this year - over 700 applications for 35 places. With odds like that, getting a place has got to be luck as much as anything else.

Talk about Catch 22...

SeaShells Tue 01-Feb-05 18:28:09

So sorry Sally, it seems so stupid that they are crying out for Midwives and so many people would love to do it, it's what I want to do, yet there are so little places offered each year!
Good luck with the nursing interview

sallystrawberry Wed 02-Feb-05 00:19:25

Moomina Wed 02-Feb-05 07:17:11

Thanks sally - I am so chuffed about it but at the same time have no idea how I got there, honestly. For someone like me it seemed like a very, very long shot. I just hope I can do it justice...

Yep, I start in Sept this year although it seems like a lifetime away! Some courses are starting now and I am really jealous - I just want to get going.

When is your nursing interview? You're bound to get a place - will you do the post-reg midwifery course after nursing then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: