Talk

Advanced search

i didint get into uni

(49 Posts)
nikcola Sat 15-Jan-05 09:40:11

i just got a letter from ucas telling me that i didnt get into luton uni to do adult nursing or mental health nursing or social work, FFS why does nothing go right for me ever now im sitting in front of my pc crying like a baby all i have ever want to do was be a nurse and look after people now what am i going to do with my life here isnt even any point in going back to collage is there x

zebra Sat 15-Jan-05 09:41:54

OH Nikcola... try not to despair. We all get setbacks in life. You'll never get what you want if you don't keep trying. Why didn't you get in?

nikcola Sat 15-Jan-05 09:43:38

they didnt say it just said that they have chosse not to offer me a place on the course , it took me so much courage to go back to collage and apply at uni i wish i new why they wont offer me a place

zebra Sat 15-Jan-05 09:49:19

Is there no way to find out?
Why do you think... because your marks weren't so good? You can work on them, it sometimes takes a lot longer to master something than you'd like it to, but you can get there eventually.

LIZS Sat 15-Jan-05 10:02:49

Sorry you are so disappointed Can you phone up the tutor who interviewed you and ask him? Sound positive and ask for feedback so that you know what areas they percieved as weaknesses and whether it is worthwhile reapplying in the future. Perhaps someone offered a place will turn it down and you may still able to get a place there if you show interest, although not sure how the UCAS system operates these days.

Good luck

Frizbe Sat 15-Jan-05 10:07:40

Good advice Lizs, also from a positive point of view, I have a friend, who is now a Ward Sister, who didn't get in on her 1st application either, so it can be done, chin up, get your feedback and go get'em girl

IloveMarmite Sat 15-Jan-05 10:09:00

Bad luck. Take it on the chin and go at them again, they'll take you when they see how good you really are!!

misdee Sat 15-Jan-05 10:10:34

there is a point in goign back to college. the fact u really want to do trhis should be enough to spur you on. You may get in on your 2nd application, dont give up now! you've worked hard to do this.

nikcola Sat 15-Jan-05 10:27:12

i thought the intervierw went really well but no i spose it didnt im going to ring them on monday and ask why i didnt get in im the only one on my course not to have been offered a place i feel like an idiot

Frizbe Sat 15-Jan-05 10:39:48

Have you thought that maybe you were all that good that you all passed, but they only had so many places to fill, so bunged you all in a hat and drew lots? (just a thought, trying to make you feel better, as we never know how these things are done....but ring and get your feedback on monday and go again! are you stuck with being in Luton or willing to move? as Nottm QMC is an excellent place to train) {{HUGS}}

Tessiebear Sat 15-Jan-05 10:41:04

Hassle them - bombard them with calls - find out WHY you didnt get in - when you know ask for a second interview to prove to them how much you want this. Guts and determination can go a long way - make yourself stand out from the crowdX

misdee Sat 15-Jan-05 10:41:13

nikola, are you driving (and have a car)? univversity of herts may have spaces, but i am not entirely sure if they run the courses u need.

nikcola Sat 15-Jan-05 10:41:20

no it has to be luton i might just finishe college and works as a hca for a year then apply again x

nikcola Sat 15-Jan-05 10:41:53

i drive but cant afford a car and the insurance

misdee Sat 15-Jan-05 10:43:34

what about bus services? or anyone else thats travelling from that area.

Moomina Sat 15-Jan-05 10:44:23

nikcola, I am really sorry - know how much you wanted this. Definitely phone them for feedback - they expect it - and don't forget about Clearing places. I am waiting on the results of two uni intervews for midwifery and have already had one rejection so know what you are going through.Don't give up - you will get there if you want it badly enough!

stitch Sat 15-Jan-05 10:47:47

what about a bike? sorry mean bicycle. you can get there almost as fast as a bus, probly faster when traffic jam. and once you get used to it, weather wont bother you too much.
when you really want something in life, just keep at it.
god, i sound like such an expert. its just bloody kids i cant handle.
good luck

nikcola Sat 15-Jan-05 10:56:06

i can really only go to luton cause of dd will be going to school soon and i want to be neart ner luton is far enoght away from her as it is hearts would be even further

misdee Sat 15-Jan-05 10:58:35

are you on the far side of luton then (not airport side?).

my sister works for social serviuces, yet has never been to uni. i'll ask her how she did it. i know she did NNEB childcare course, then worked in a nursery, then a special needs school, err then helped run a special needs group and now works for family services. thinks that about its.

nikcola Sat 15-Jan-05 11:02:35

im in dunstable missdee soory i always say im in luton cause no one knows where dunstable is !!!!! what really pisses me off is htey are crying out for nurses why cant i be one FFS think i need a drink its my 21si next week couldnt they of sent me the letter after my birthday

stitch Sat 15-Jan-05 11:03:02

nick, if you want something that bad, then make compromises. why is your daughters school place more important than your university place? what is so special about the school she will be going to?
when i was three, my sister five, and little baby sis three months old, we all moved countries, to go live in edinburgh so mom could do her phd. dad left a good job and stayed at home for a year and a half to look after baby sis until she went to nursery, he did all the school runs etc.
so why cant your daughter go to a school near your university? and why cant your partner also help by making some compromises? ( sorry assuming you have one)
im just saying, give yourself a chance, just coz one uni hasnt accepted you , doesnt mean there arent another hundred out ther.

misdee Sat 15-Jan-05 11:03:27

i know dunstable, that is quite far from uni of herts.

i'm suren you'l lwork this out.

Socci Sat 15-Jan-05 11:04:02

Message withdrawn

stitch Sat 15-Jan-05 11:05:43

my god, nickola, you are sooo young. why are you tying yourself down like this. at 21 i thought nothing of uppiing everything and moving to another city, and at 22 moved to another country, and then again at 23. sur i didnt have a child, but if your daughter is starting school, then you can be more flexible thatn if you had a baby.
apply to edinburgh university, or london, or imperial, they are much better univeristies than pooxy luton.

stitch Sat 15-Jan-05 11:06:25

and luton must be crap if they are not giving a place to someone who wants to do it as much as you do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now