Talk

Advanced search

Letter from UCAS !!!!!!

(10 Posts)
sallystrawberry Tue 11-Jan-05 00:51:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

joash Tue 11-Jan-05 00:53:16

Sally - What have you applied to do?

I've only applied to one place and know exactly where you're coming from, feelings wise.

sallystrawberry Tue 11-Jan-05 00:54:54

joash Tue 11-Jan-05 00:56:31

Social work - notoriously difficult to get into - as I imagine midwifery is.

sallystrawberry Tue 11-Jan-05 01:03:02

joash Tue 11-Jan-05 01:11:27

Thank You - you too. I did an access course for my original degree some years ago - they're a great route to get into a subject area.

Trouble is, even then I wanted to do social work, but was put off by the difficulty in getting in - plus I didn't have any confidence in my academic abilities - so I sort of fell into doing Women's Studies as a degre. Although, I absolutely loved it. But now feel as though the time is right to do social work and get on with what I want to do.

Total admiration for anyone wanting to be/or being a midwife - must be a very rewarding role.

hippi Tue 11-Jan-05 11:24:07

Joash, have you applied to do a BA in socil work, only I know that there are not alot of MA social work courses out there. I did my BA hons in sociology, had dd in last semester of 3rd year - still graduated in Oct 2003 though. I have now got job with City Council in social services department - good way of getting trained as social worker as they will pay you to train and gaining experience at same time! Good luck anyway. Sally Strawberry fingers crossed for you you're very brave I couldn't be a nurse or midwife!

Moomina Tue 11-Jan-05 11:28:48

Sally - just wanted to say good luck - I'm sure you'll hear good news. I know exactly what you're going through, though. I'm sure you have made the right decision. I often think 'What the hell am I letting myself in for' but my life does need changing!

Then again, if I do get a place god knows how I am going to handle the work. I am supposed to be writing an essay for my interview at Kingston TOMORROW! And yet I appear to be on Mumsnet...

Did you apply for nursing and midwifery?

nailpolish Tue 11-Jan-05 11:30:14

sally, lots of luck. im sure you will be offered a place at both uni's!

joash Tue 11-Jan-05 15:18:03

hippi - I have applied to do a BSc in social work. I spoke to the course leader and she explained that although still entitled to a bursary for myself, I could not apply for funding to support any dependants on the MA, but could on the BSc. The MA covers exactly the same amount of work as the BSc, which, in her opinion - is far too much to try and get through in two years, for anyone with other commitments such as family, job, etc. She says it's ideal for a single person with very few commitments. Anyway, for financial reaasons, I opted for the BSc.

I will actually end up better off financially doing the degree on a bursary, than going through a Social Services department, plus, I will have more time to do the academic and placement 'stuff'. I did apply, and was offered such a 'deal' as a trainee social worker - but with our local scheme, there's too much that I would have been contracted to and the pay was only just over £13,000 a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now