Talk

Advanced search

Any other medics out there?

(5 Posts)
highlander Mon 03-Jan-05 00:04:51

starting medicine in Sept; DS will be 1.

Not entirely sure I'm doing the right thing, can't bear the thought of DS in nursery. Kind of feel I should be out earning a crust (I'll be 37 when I start) rather indulging myself in alifelong dream.

Aaaargh, the guilt..........

zaphod Mon 03-Jan-05 00:31:54

Good for you, for actually fulfilling a life-long dream, especially at 37. Go for it, and good luck. And we ALL feel guilty about whether or not we are doing the right thing for our children from time to time.

Cristina7 Fri 04-Feb-05 12:41:10

Good luck, Highlander. I did medicine but have been working in research only. Lower pay but good & flexible working hours, possibility of working from home (good for working around childcare), nice academic environment. I'm 38 and have no plans of going back to clinical work. It's a fab profession, best of luck with the studies.

NameChangingMancMidlander Fri 04-Feb-05 12:47:13

WOW ! Go you

You should do it or else you'll live your life with a series of 'what ifs'. I would have loved to do medicine but have accepted that for me it just isnt a viable option, it would be too much of a challenge with 3 kids.

My 'compromise', although it doesn't feel like that is a career in Radiography. I hope to start my access course this sept and my degree the following sept. Radiography, for me, feels like a happy medium between fulfilling my dreams of working in medicine but also being able to function effectively as a wife and mother.

Very best of luck with your course and well done !

phatcat Fri 04-Feb-05 13:00:18

wow - that's very inspirational both highlander and NCMM.

highlander - just think of the crust you'll be earning after training though - that must assuage some of the guilt?! I'm sure your DS will thrive at nursery once settled - mine has. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: