Advanced search

Right this has prob been done before but come and advise me on money!

(5 Posts)
JustTonks Sun 16-Sep-07 20:53:54

IF I do either teacher training (3/4 year course) or Social Work (3y)

I am a single parent with 2 kids and will stay that way if it helps financially!

JustTonks Sun 16-Sep-07 21:15:03


MiaWallace Mon 17-Sep-07 14:47:27

As a single parent (not working) studying for a degree you would be intitled to

- maintenance loan - £4510
- special support grant - £2765
- parents learning allowance - £1435

Plus 85% of childcare costs.

You can still claim child tax credits and you would get some housing benefit. You would also be able to apply for a student intrest free overdraft with the high st banks.

There's also an additional nhs bursary with the social work degree, not sure how much this is for.

If you have any further questions you can email me on brighteyes42 @ hotmail. co. uk

JustTonks Mon 17-Sep-07 18:36:56

Thats great thanks, I expected more in the way of grants though I hadn't found any.Don't need Childcare and can't claim housing benefit (own my house) but did remember I wouldn't have to pay council tax so thats something I suppose.

Katiekins83 Thu 27-Sep-07 11:54:42

hi! i have just started back on my 2nd year of my degree ( after baby number 1) and am a single mummy and they have now taken £1000 a term from my loan, as they siad they over paid me, and still havent sorted my childcare grant out! what can i do!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: