Talk

Advanced search

Dissertation help?

(16 Posts)
mosschops30 Tue 11-Sep-07 15:24:31

I have no idea what I'm going to do? Well i do but cant find any relevant research on it.

My proposal has to be in in two weeks.

sad my third year is crap already.

How did you decide what to do?

Bewilderbeast Tue 11-Sep-07 15:49:14

For my bachelors and my masters I chose topics I was really interested in. For the masters I picked a topic that there was (at the time) very little research on. I managed to get hold of a number of uncommon books and lots of journal articles, i also wrote to embassies and organisations. I chose a topic i was passionate about so that I didn't get bored and give up. In the end, if I'm honest, I chose a topic that was way too big for me to handle and probably didn't get the mark I would have if I had picked a more manageable subject, but at least I never lost interest. sorry that's probably not much help

saralou Tue 11-Sep-07 15:51:19

your a student nurse right???? whats you idea???

lucyellensmum Tue 11-Sep-07 16:07:18

are you not given a list of possible research projects? What about the tutors who are going to be assesing your work? Are they research active?

What is your idea, and where have you been researching? Do you use PubMed?

mosschops30 Tue 11-Sep-07 16:07:32

I would like to do something on abortion (nurses feelings towards patients/should we be able to opt out on moral/religious grounds etc).

Or something to do with theatre which is my main area of interest.

I just cant seem to find the research I want

dustystar Tue 11-Sep-07 16:15:37

mosschops I have access to quite a few online journals through the OU. I could have a look if you like and email you stuff if i can find anything. ISI web of science is pretty good for searches like this.

dustystar Tue 11-Sep-07 16:16:32

I will need you to give me more detail on what you are looking for though as otherwise i will get loads of hits that won't be relevant.

saralou Tue 11-Sep-07 16:18:52

and where have you loked so far.... i can look at work for abortion stuff if you like?? give you an idea where to look

but if you are mre interested in theatres why not do something around that... what interestsyou about theatres

mosschops30 Tue 11-Sep-07 16:27:47

thats the trouble I dont know. I was going to look at 'visitors to recovery' but can find nothing. My other options would be things like communication between theatre staff which there is quite a bit on.
I have looked at Blackwell Synergy and Cochrane Library so far, but I know I have lots more online databases to go through

dustystar Tue 11-Sep-07 16:36:35

Do you mean whether visitors aid or hinder recovery?

mosschops30 Tue 11-Sep-07 16:37:44

kind of. Visitors are allowed to recovery (PACU) in the states, but not in the UK. Was going to look at the evidence for this and whether it helps patient or not

saralou Tue 11-Sep-07 16:39:30

theirs probably no research 'cause visitors aren't alowed in recovery...full stop!! (did i read it right??)

personally, imo don't make this too hard for yourself... tis quite stressfull in the 3rd year anyway, without going of on a mad hunt for info. if theirs lots of stuff on communication, do that (i speak as a lazy studyer!!) good luck,let me know if you want me to look out any info for ya (i'm at work fri)

hugatree Tue 11-Sep-07 16:40:43

Try ovid it usually gives good research articles on all things nursy/medical. You can get an Athens password form your uni phone your learning centre (library) give them your student id and they can if they are nice give you a password today. Just grovel a bit! Don't forget the BMJ you don't have to stick to just nursing research it crosses into Dr territory! Good Luck.

mosschops30 Tue 11-Sep-07 17:07:56

yes i have an athens password. Maybe I will do the communication thing, it is lazy, but would probably be very easy.
Not sure what the change management aspect would be though

smurfgirl Tue 11-Sep-07 18:05:02

I was told that for theatre based disertations that pain relief, nutrition (starving etc) and pressure care were good areas to do..

sallystrawberry Sat 15-Sep-07 22:12:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now