Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice please: ttc and starting second year ou course - Am I mad?!

(14 Posts)
hugatree Mon 10-Sep-07 15:45:14

I know it's a bit mad, but have recently been diagnosed with early onset menopause so dh and I made the decision to buy house and start TTC three years before we had intended in our 'plan'. Have switched from traditional uni course into OU to gain flexibility. Due to start 60 credits this October while job hunting in new area and TTC. Any tips for ideal time course timetable wise for ideal world due date (know this is highly unlikely but no harm trying!)

If lucky enough to have baby would appreciate realistic estimate of how long break of study or if possible to study with newborn! I'm a bit dubious about the super woman give birth, fit into pre preg jeans 2 days after and back to work day 3 images my friends, media seem to have. I'm thinking the sleep deprivation alone would send me to be sectioned! I have images of me 5 years later still trying to finish 1 essay!

Would appreciate any advice, thoughts on my harebrained scheme - or shall I just pass go and go straight to the asylum?! wink

lojomojo Mon 10-Sep-07 16:27:03

It is possible but then anything is possible. I think you should work out what courses with OU you want to do how many points you have left to achieve and I would do harders one whilst the baby is fairly inactive and a easier ones when the baby is more active, although someone will come along and say the opposite. You need a plan for uni, but the baby will actually end up doing what they want. It will work out you 'll see. Good luck.

Mars Mon 10-Sep-07 16:29:19

Go for it! I'm doing my OU coiurse with 5 children and doula-ing and salsa-ing.

Just go for it! Bet it all works out great! grin

hugatree Mon 10-Sep-07 17:05:19

Thanks lojomojo and Mars! Have a masters already, so credit transfers ahoy, collecting bits of paper! This one is for a career change and I have to get at least a 2:1 for the post grad proff course, so am nervous about taking on too much, want the job and want a baby! The Moon and stars! Think I will try and do two courses this year then while TTC and just see how it goes. I just can't imagine having to study while pregnant or with a baby... never thought it was going to be like this... but, that is life I guess. So all advice, horror stories welcome! Taking my hat off to you all.

TheodoresMummy Mon 10-Sep-07 17:13:54

Go for it !!!!

If you want all the things you are aiming for (which it sounds like you do) then it's possible.

I have just started an access course and am doing it over 2 years because we are going to TTC second baby soon.

I am doing the majority of the work in year 1, aiming for baby to be born summer 2008, and will do a couple of subjects in year 2. This should allow me to be at home with baby for most of the time in year 2 as well as getting plenty of credits on my course.

Doubt things will go as smoothly as this, but you don't know unless you try.

Go for it !!!

mumtosam Mon 10-Sep-07 17:35:32

Go for it

Good luck

hugatree Tue 11-Sep-07 09:45:08

Right will get DH on the job! No waiting for Monkey love Monday for me! wink Thanks for being so positive, though I get the feeling if I do have a wee one I will be back here quite frequently for use of your advice and steam letting facilities!

Many thanks.

hug a tree.

Peachy Tue 11-Sep-07 09:55:25

Ah its completely posible- took my first year OU exam at 7 months pg with pre-eclampsia got 88% lol! If I can do that (on the 7th floor of a building, and having only 1 ten minute loo break allowed- ouch) then anyone can, coz I am not aprticularly bright.

Am at RL Uni now, as found it ahrder after kids- needed someone to schedule me, iyswim.

tjacksonpfc Tue 11-Sep-07 09:57:33

im starting a 30 point ou course october in introducing health sciences and ive got 2 dcs so we can all support each other

pixiella Tue 11-Sep-07 12:26:11

go for it! good luck! xxx

nimnom Tue 11-Sep-07 14:39:58

Go for it hugatree.
I carried on with OU course through pregnancy and birth of ds2. Took exam when he was 7 weeks old with the aid of a cushion and major breastpumping beforehand!!. Just keep in touch with your tutor all the time. Mine have been really helpful.
GOOD LUCK smile

hugatree Tue 11-Sep-07 16:52:17

Nimnon and Peachy tears to a glass eye... cushions, breast-pumps and 10 min loo breaks! shock Hope I'm made of such stern stuff! Thanks everyone for your sage advice. Will discuss with dh and think about ttc for summer vacation post summer school, but as these things are not an exact science I really appreciate your stories coming from a place of experience not a glossy mag!

I'm scared with no word of a lie, but I would have been in a few years anyway. Just don't want to short change a child or myself, I guess everyone feels that way? But I'm thinking of investing in a time machine to stretch the day! wink

bamamama Fri 14-Sep-07 02:51:14

I'd say go for it and pack as much study in while you're ttc and pregnant - it's got to be easier with a bump than a lo crawling around. I'm in much the same boat myself - already have 1 ds, about to start 2 OU courses and planning to go on and do further OU course and a 2 year masters. Oh, and probably ttc number 2 in the meantime! It sounds scary but you'll be suprised how focussed and determined you can be once you've had a child (or it could be just me...grin). Good luck!

hugatree Sat 15-Sep-07 09:33:28

I'm becoming more focused by the min B thanks when I think of all I'll need to cram into the time. My OU pack arrived late yesterday with all the bits and pieces it is all starting to feel very real and DH is keen to get started!wink
Many thanks again.
H.A.T!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now