Talk

Advanced search

Advice: Doing law exams & having a new born!

(6 Posts)
MrsNOC Sun 15-Jul-07 17:05:46

Not sure if I'm in the right section.

Have any of you sat exams when you've had a baby? How old was your baby?

I'm used to working full-time and studying part-time. However, doing exams (I'm on the p-t Legal Practice Course) and having a very young baby at the same time will be a different matter!

Just wondering what other people's experiences of this are. Is it manageable if you have a supportive family to assist?

Quattrocento Sun 15-Jul-07 17:09:19

Gosh you are brave! No experience of this as did not have children until fully qualified. But I have friends who did the same and they survived to tell the tale. It is hard work though.

MrsMarvel Sun 15-Jul-07 17:26:42

While your baby's tiny, they're fairly portable and sleep a lot, so I'd say, if you're talking 3 months worth of exams, go for it.

The only slight drawback is that you'll suffer from lack of sleep but if you have everything else set up around the house and have someone cooking / looking after you, sleep when baby's sleeping, feed her/him as and when (breast is best - less washing up), don't be too daunted.

The last thing is that you'll never be able to rely on being anywhere at a certain time. There will be many times when baby will be priority so you'll have to try and arrange things to fit in with your schedule.

I've not done this before by the way, but I've put off studying and am regretting it because my brain's now past its sell-by date!

beansontoast Tue 17-Jul-07 20:03:45

dont know where to start...might start with 'thats the spirit girl...anything is possible'

right...i studied and did exams with a baby ..but NOT a new born.in my experience it's relatively easy to combine a baby with study...as opposed to a toddler.

my friend who was also on my degree course did half her exams pregnant and then sat th elast three with a brand brand new baby...we discussed this phenomenal feat and agreed in retrospect that the younger the baby the less you suffer from the 'cummulative fatigue' that hits a little later...does that makes sense.

(she had FULL ON support from family...which was prob the backbone of the whole operation)

anyway..the very very best of luck

lilolilmanchester Tue 17-Jul-07 20:10:40

no advice, never having been in that position, but just wanted to say good luck. If you do manage to fit it all in, I'd say you'd be extremely attractive to future employers as you could prove how well organised & determined you are.
So, hugely supportive if that's what you want to do, but please make sure you leave plenty of time to enjoy your little one and to have some rest (ah, yes, there was some advice in there after all!)

MrsNOC Fri 27-Jul-07 14:57:20

Just wanted to say thanks very much for your advice and support. Made a lot of progress last week: Got my result from my June exams and did well.

I'm on a part-time weekend course and the exams are scheduled for the end of January, 2 weeks after my due date. The p-t evening students are doing the same exams in Feb, 5 weeks after my DD. To me that's a big difference. With help from my family, I feel I'll be able to cope with doing them in Feb. Anyway, the College made things very awkward and said no way could I do them in Feb. After getting upset and then angry, I wrote to the Director and they've agreed. Got the letter this morning. Now I can enjoy the next few weeks before term starts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: