Talk

Advanced search

Postgraduate funding and universal credit

(6 Posts)
Bugsymalonemumof2 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:26:17

Is there anyone in receipt of the post graduate loan and receives universal credit?

How manageable us it?

I have two under 5s and am a single parent. The masters is for social work

Purplewithgreenspots Fri 25-Jan-19 19:06:34

Check out your situation before you take the big step. I started a Master’s as seemed the only way that I could get a job. The DWP then stopped all of my money and told menthat I was only allowed to do a FE course.
Had to get my councillor involved to fight for me. Would have lost home otherwise. They count it as an income and my councillor argued it was a debt.

user1498230352 Sun 27-Jan-19 19:47:16

Universal credit take £15 a month from my allowance and treat SFE as extra income. My SFE is paid over 2 years as I'm doing my masters over 3 years but the full time equivalent is 2.
Unnecessarily complicated but I luckily spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about and they made it easy

Bigkingdom Sat 02-Feb-19 09:06:41

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/231042

Bigkingdom Sat 02-Feb-19 09:07:23

That petition is to get the Government to change the way they class student loans as unearned income for UC purposes.

whatnotwho Sun 03-Mar-19 06:46:54

A masters loan would only cover the course fees, so how can they deduct that as income confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: