Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling all student nurses or nurses just qualified ..............

(20 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 20-Jun-07 09:33:07

Can you tell me if you are a September intake when you will get your graduation ceremony?

We have just been told that because we dont officially graduate until September 2008 (even though will finish in July 2008) that we have to wait until July 2009 for our graduation.

I have been told that this is UK wide and the norm but I find that hard to believe. I dont want to wait a year for my cap and gown and am pretty miffed about this

Thanks

tiredemma Wed 20-Jun-07 09:35:57

Ours are in the june of the yr we qualify.

tiredemma Wed 20-Jun-07 09:36:28

hang on let me double check

tiredemma Wed 20-Jun-07 09:38:29

sorry- ours is the july of when we qualify.

bit of info here
graduation

mosschops30 Wed 20-Jun-07 09:39:08

are you september intake tired emma

tiredemma Wed 20-Jun-07 09:41:35

yep- sept 06, qualify 09

tiredemma Wed 20-Jun-07 09:43:47

which uni are you at mosschops? Can you ask any yr 3 students what date they expect to graduate?

mosschops30 Wed 20-Jun-07 09:48:42

i am at cardiff uni. Where are you? I am just trying to get some ammunition for our set-reps so they can flag it up at the meeting

tiredemma Wed 20-Jun-07 09:52:36

Im at Birmingham Uni- We definetly grad the same yr we qualify as we have to advise the uni that spring whether we are attending or not.

may be worth googling various unis ie
'birmingham university graduation' and see what each uni says- can then present it to student reps.

I must admit- it sounds a stupid system- why would anyone want to slog their way through a nursing degree- only to have to wait a yr to show off in your cap and gown. I cannot wait to graduate.

HelloMama Wed 20-Jun-07 10:14:11

We finished the course in August and didn't graduate until the following January. I was a bit miffed because it all seemed quite a long time away, but actually it was fab. It was like a real reunion - obviously everyone went, and we had all been in our new jobs for a few months so we had lots of catch up on. It was great!

mosschops30 Wed 20-Jun-07 16:33:34

what uni are you in hellomama

sallyheartshapedstrawberry Wed 20-Jun-07 17:12:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallyheartshapedstrawberry Wed 20-Jun-07 17:12:54

MamaMaiasaura Wed 20-Jun-07 17:14:29

Graduated October 2006. July 19th 2007

MamaMaiasaura Wed 20-Jun-07 17:14:49

meant finished oct 06 - grad ceremony is this JUly

MamaMaiasaura Wed 20-Jun-07 17:15:38

Doesnt mean you arent qualified before then, it just means you dont get your ceremony till later. Is nice in a way as will get to see how everyone has got on.

sallyheartshapedstrawberry Wed 20-Jun-07 17:18:24

mosschops30 Wed 20-Jun-07 17:25:21

yeah agree will be nice to catch up but a few points:

some of us may not even be nursing by then (sad but true)
I dont even plan on being in the country a year after graduation
my father is very ill at the mo and I'll be lucky if he sees a year never mind two and Id be sad if he didnt get to see me graduate

I'm sure there are others in similar situations, I think it stinks

sallyheartshapedstrawberry Wed 20-Jun-07 17:29:18

HelloMama Wed 20-Jun-07 18:52:04

I was at King's in London. A few years back now so not sure if it has changed, but they tend to hold all the ceremonies together for the arts, sciences and humanities subjects, I think. Some people were worried that they would be away for the ceremony as they planned to go travelling work abroad(but in the end i don't think anyone missed it, because generally if you plan to nurse abroad they want you to have done at least 6 months in the NHS first), and we were also a bit worried that our off-duties wouldn't accommodate - especially for people who had to travel to London from far and wide. But we did know the date when we started our jobs so I just made sure that they knew I would be having a few days off aroudn that time and it was ok. I can see why you're peeved though as I did feel the same at the time. It felt we were missing out on a good celebration of our course, especially as we didn't even have a leavers ball or anything (we were a really small group). It was only when the actual event came around that we appreciated what a good few months we had all had, and all the catching up was such great fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now