Talk

Advanced search

ONLY DD JUST STARTED UNI - DONT KNOW HOW TO FEEL

(4 Posts)
vivprod Mon 17-Sep-18 03:20:33

My only DD has just left for uni and I dont know how to feel. It feels strange that I will know longer be a part of her day to day life, we are close and talk a lot. I know we can chat on the phone etc but I feel lost - I have a full time job, DH, friends and lots to keep me busy. I tried not to cry in front of her when we left her, all I wanted to do was pack her things up and bring her home, I have always encouraged her to be independent but this to me seems a step too far at 18. Its 3.00am in the morning and I cant sleep. I never thought I would feel like this my DH has taken it in his stride and is not really saying much. I want her to have the growing experience that uni will give her. I suppose it will take me time to adjust to an empty quiet home.

MenorcaIsAllYours Mon 17-Sep-18 13:21:34

Hi OP. I'm about to face this exact thing and I don't know how I'm going to feel about it either. I'm dreading it. Just hope we get used to it. Sending hugs

rogueantimatter Mon 17-Sep-18 13:35:07

I totally get you. I've just dropped my younger one off at the start of his second year of uni this morning and I feel a bit flat, even though he's coming home for a thing in a fortnight!

Last year I felt awful. I could 'happily' have sat and cried.

It's a new chapter for your DD's and for you. Give yourself a bit of time and then enjoy the benefits: eg, your laundry will halve. And you now have the lovely anticipation of seeing her. Christmas will be absolutely briliant this year.

MenorcaIsAllYours Mon 17-Sep-18 14:00:21

I'm sure you are right rogue but I'm almost in tears just thinking about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: