Talk

Advanced search

I need honest advice on this please

(3 Posts)
StartAndFinishOrGiveUp Sun 22-Jul-18 20:59:38

Single parent, 2 DC, one with SEN. A few years ago I decided to do an access course to go to university and try and better my situation. I had no idea what I wanted to do but somehow settled on accounting. I got into university and started the course but things came to a head with my son at the same time and I had a lot on my plate dealing with him and just couldn’t focus on my course at all so I left in the first term with the intention of starting again when he is older and less demanding. Last year I thought I would try again but through distance learning so I enrolled in a foundation accounting course in October. For one reason or another, I have yet to open a single book. blush I kept meaning to get started but never get round to it. I got an email on Friday letting me know my online support would end in 3 months. The course I enrolled on is in two parts, foundation and the next level so I am committed to paying £66 a month for a total of 2.5 years whether I do the courses or not. Part of me thinks if I really really hustle I could finish the first part by the 3 month deadline? (Is that just batshit?) And be ready to start the second part on time. But if I’m honest, I really don’t think I have any interest in actually working in accounting. I think if I was I would have done the course. Should I just do the course anyway? So I have it under my belt so to speak? It would be really hard I think, especially as I’m way behind and I don’t want to feel like an utter failure (again) if I can’t do it. Should I just give up on the idea of accounting altogether? I’ve started twice now and not managed the courses.

I have to pay for it either way so honest answers very much appreciated. I do work part time as well but have some mornings and evenings free. Depending on what DC have happening as well.

allthatmalarkey Mon 23-Jul-18 13:13:39

You can definitely no harm by opening a book and discovering if you are a) actually interested in accounting or b) capable of finding the time and motivation to get part 1 done in time (I wonder if they'd consider an extension if you'd done a lot of it, given your home life). I would be gutted for you if you'd spent that much money for nothing. There or to be a way of getting a refund of some sort.

allthatmalarkey Mon 23-Jul-18 13:14:24

Ought to be not or to be. Honestly!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: