Talk

Advanced search

Having a newborn and studying?

(4 Posts)
dazedandconfuse Mon 23-Oct-17 18:58:35

I have a 3 year old and am expecting a baby in April. I'm only in my first year but I'm really really hoping there is a way I might be able to continue my study and finish the year on time? I managed to finish college and actually went to uni last year but it wasn't for me so I'm now on a new course at a new uni. Sorry rambling a bit now but the point is do any of you guys reckon it's possible to continue my degree without a year out as a single mum to a small child AND new born?

Sorry if this makes 0 sense 

studentmum3 Sat 02-Dec-17 08:38:15

It is possible but it will be very hard. I am a full-time student to 3 children. The biggest difficulties are logistics and childcare. I am managing because my husband is really supportive. I don't know if I could alone.....but then I would get more financial help with childcare, as a single parent. So who knows.

I studied with a newborn as well. I found that stage wasn't that bad. It's been as the baby has grown and got more mobile awake more that it's been tougher. When the baby was tiny, I popped her in a sling, fed her (breastfed) there and got on with life and studying. But I didn't have many contact hours then (I do this year), so I didn't have to worry about leaving the baby much. It would have been very different if I'd had loads of lectures to attend or a placement to consider. Also, exams could have been tricky.

I'd say it is doable but you really, really need to think through all the logistics and have a plan A, B and C!

Lules Sat 02-Dec-17 08:45:35

Would your childcare for your 3 year old continue? When does your year end? If teaching finishes in April and then you just have exams in May you may be able to do it if you aren’t that fussed about doing really well.

Do you have anyone that could help you look after a newborn? What would be the financial consequences if you dropped out of the year? What happens if you fail the assessments? And what about the year after as your baby will only be a few months old?

Callamia Sat 02-Dec-17 21:22:14

What childcare do you have?
It’s not impossible to study with a newborn, and your first year may only count a little bit, or not at all, to your final grade - so you might just need to pass. If you think that’s ok for you, then I think it’s possible. Hard, and tirIng, but possible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: