Talk

Advanced search

University messed up my modules!

(6 Posts)
Zionsmummy Sat 23-Sep-17 09:40:18

Morning
I am currently starting my 2nd year in Early Childhood studies, however I am dreading it because my university messed up my modules. I started the course in 2015 but due to mitigating circumstances I didn't complete all my modules and had to repeat the year. I got through all of the modules 'I was given' last year and when it came to the end of the year I was told by my tutor that I had two modules outstanding. My tutor came with me to admin to check if there was an error on the system, when they checked they said there was no error and I need to do both modules to get into year 2. At the beginning of my repeat year I picked up on this and questioned it and was told that if it was not on my timetable then I shouldn't worry! I mentioned it again mid year just to be sure and was told the same thing. Now I am able to go into year 2 but I have to still attend lectures and complete the assignments before I can be funded. I don't know if there's anyone I can speak to at my uni about this as most staff have been unhelpful. I have a three year old who attends nursery everyday so the funding side of things is really stressing me out I resigned from my job so I can focus on this year so I am financially fucked!

Zionsmummy Mon 25-Sep-17 15:47:05

Morning
I am currently starting my 2nd year in Early Childhood studies, however I am dreading it because my university messed up my modules. I started the course in 2015 but due to mitigating circumstances I didn't complete all my modules and had to repeat the year. I got through all of the modules 'I was given' last year and when it came to the end of the year I was told by my tutor that I had two modules outstanding. My tutor came with me to admin to check if there was an error on the system, when they checked they said there was no error and I need to do both modules to get into year 2. At the beginning of my repeat year I picked up on this and questioned it and was told that if it was not on my timetable then I shouldn't worry! I mentioned it again mid year just to be sure and was told the same thing. Now I am able to go into year 2 but I have to still attend lectures and complete the assignments before I can be funded. I don't know if there's anyone I can speak to at my uni about this as most staff have been unhelpful. I have a three year old who attends nursery everyday so the funding side of things is really stressing me out I resigned from my job so I can focus on this year so I am financially fucked!

Mittens92 Mon 09-Oct-17 06:55:12

Sorry for late reply @Zionsmummy. Now then, is there any possibility you can discuss with the head of department about doing the 2 uncompleted modules along with the other modules without having to repeat the year again to complete the modules you've not done? It will be a lot more work but they need to understand you only get 4 years of SF funding. You've already used up an extra year resitting your year and modules so they need to take that into consideration! I do hope you get this sorted OP. What a stressful situation to be in.

smellybeanpole Mon 09-Oct-17 07:08:07

I don't get Why you should be the one carrying the burden in all this when you were given wrong information regarding your modules. I would definitely find out if there is another person to speak to regarding this and your funding. Absolutely ridiculous since you've already re sat a year. I would put in a formal complaint and demand to speak to the dean.

kuniloofdooksa Mon 09-Oct-17 08:43:41

95% of the time when these situations arise, university staff are used to deflecting the whining of an entitled youngster who hasn't taken responsibility for themselves as an adult and was expecting someone else to be on the ball on their behalf. From the details in your OP it looks like you were actually on the ball and queried it twice and were reassured - were either of those in writing?

Obviously you need to do the missing modules but it is not right that you should suffer financial hardship due to a mistake made by the university.

Dippingmytoesin Mon 09-Oct-17 08:46:25

Have you involved the head of department? Do you have an emails/letters etc confirming you contacted them about this on more than one occasion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now