Talk

Advanced search

Mature student - missing lectures due to childcare frowned on?

(6 Posts)
user1488756360 Wed 17-May-17 20:20:23

Hello. I'm a mature student with school age children and will be starting uni in September.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of needing to miss lectures due to childcare issues. During school term time I will be fine as both kids in school but I will be in uni over October and February half term. Will it be frowned upon if I missed the odd lecture?

I had a word with one of the lectures at an open day who said that while they still obviously wouldn't recommend skipping lectures but if you have a genuine reason then it would be ok.

How many lectures is too many to miss? shock

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Wed 17-May-17 20:24:56

It depends if your uni records you being there or not, some do for some courses due to visa requirements for non-British individuals (so they record everyone as its easier that way). If there's a register, it might be recorded but even then it doesn't mean you will be in trouble. Attendance is very poor towards the end of term in my classes as deadlines hit, which is annoying given how much students moan about lack of contact time!

If you miss the minimum amount and make an effort to catch up (e.g. sometimes they are recorded/online) then I don't think twice a term is a big deal. If you attended everything else, that would make you one of my better attenderssmile

SleeplessByTheSeaside Wed 17-May-17 20:31:45

It depends on the uni/course but if there's quite a lot of people on it, the lecturers won't even notice. They can hardly force you to attend anyway!

I missed loads of lectures in my first 1.5 years of uni as I was working part time (as well as having occasional childcare issues). In the first term I tried approaching the lecturers to explain and apologise that I wouldn't be able to attend tomorrow's lecture etc etc. They either didn't give a toss, and looked like they wondered why I was telling them, or made patronising comments of "well, if you don't want to attend....." as if I'd just told them I was planning on bunking off to go down the pub, not that I had to work extra hours to support myself financially, or my child was sick...!!

So after that I didn't bother. Just check which lectures seem likely to be most important, and if any are compulsory (I have some seminars/lab sessions on my course which are compulsory to attend).

Skedaddled Wed 17-May-17 20:42:07

Just wanted to say it depends on your university/course. I'm studying a 2nd degree in healthcare and we need 80% attendance to progress each year. But first time I studied as long as you were passing assignments nobody cared what lectures you attended (or didn't)!

user1488756360 Wed 17-May-17 21:00:28

That's for your replies.
I have a few lectures that are lab based/practical so I wouldn't miss those (my parents will hopefully help) but childcare during both half terms is potentially going to be an issue. The rest of the time when kids are at school I will make it to all lectures with maybe the odd leaving 10 mins early to get back for school run. I've lined up childcare but I'm finding that I'll need to pay for a full after school session when I only need 30 mins which is going to work out at around £55 per week during term time so if I can make it back it will save us around £200 per month.

smellylittleorange Tue 11-Jul-17 20:48:25

See if you can get term dates from the uni..some half terms conveniently are the same week as reading week !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now