Talk

Advanced search

Childcare grant - has anyone got one?

(5 Posts)
Pachamama2017 Tue 11-Apr-17 06:29:14

Hi there,
I have an offer to study a PGCE in September and have 2 children for whom I'll need childcare - school clubs for eldest (4 years) and FT nursery for youngest (10 months). Student finance don't reveal how they assess and I'm really stressed that I might not be able to do it as 1200 monthly fees would be impossible! Ive seen lots of posts in which people haven't got it so can anyone tell me if you have? If so, were you on a very low income? My partner earns £23k and we wouldn't be entitled to childcare element of tax credits as I won't be working and I won't be able to either as course is very intense... I've heard probably more than FT hours. They are crying out for secondary teachers and I'm also taking a shortage subject... Surely there must be hope?!??!

murdershewrote Tue 11-Apr-17 06:34:31

I've just been awarded it for September but I'm a single parent so not sure of the threshold of you are in a relationship. Have you called student finance to see if you are eligible? They told me over the phone I could apply for it. Good luck, I've found sorting everything out for going back to uni stressful too!

Pachamama2017 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:14:29

Thank you murdershewrote. They told me I'm eligible to apply but they don't reveal assessment criteria. I guess I just have to wait and see what transpires but it'll be such a shame if we don't get anything as I've had loads to sort out for it, all whilst on maternity leave, so I want it to count for something. That and I just really want to do the course! 🤔

murdershewrote Tue 11-Apr-17 12:34:48

Yes I know what you mean, I'm on leave at the moment too so really keen to get going. I guess all you can do apply and see what happens. I got a decision within a couple of weeks so hopefully it won't take too long for you either.

TheDrsDocMartens Tue 11-Apr-17 17:24:19

We weren't eligible. Dh earns about 18k and have 4 children. Childcare about £50 a week though so don't know if that counts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now