Talk

Advanced search

Midwifery Course

(5 Posts)
Moominy12 Wed 05-Apr-17 10:35:34

I'm a 24 year old mum of one, a 2 year old. I have 10 gcse's graded C or above, 1 A level and a BTEC. Also have nvq level 2 in admin. I've always wanted to be a midwife and wondering what support is offered in regards to finances, working hours around my daughter etc. I currently work part time and need an income to survive but so desperate to study this course!

KatLovesCats Thu 13-Apr-17 11:31:07

You'll probably need an A-level in something like biology - your NVQ won't cut it I'm afraid as it's not a relevant subject. Usual minimum entry requirements are maths and English GCSE at C minimum, plus at least 1 Science A-level or something like an Access to Higher Education in health sciences. Plus relevant experience! They're super competitive courses.

I recommend contacting the Uni you'd be applying to and getting their minimum entry requirements as a first step smile and the book Becoming a Student Midwife by Ellie Durrant is invaluable!

KatLovesCats Thu 13-Apr-17 11:33:53

Sorry, just realised I didn't answer your actual question blush

It's a full time and full on course so you'll need full time childcare. You'll get a student loan and grant from the Student Loans Company which includes up to 85% of childcare costs but it's income based. You can check what you'd get financially on their calculator smile but hours wise it's full time hours including placements, there will be 12 hour shifts, nights etc

motherofdaemons Wed 19-Apr-17 19:58:45

Hi, I'm a student midwife and I have 4 children. I'm actually on maternity leave from my course and I'll be starting the second year with a 7 year old, 4 year old and 11 month old twins! confused
Firstly, depending on where you are the course can be very very competitive. Over 2000 people applied to my course with only 52 spaces available. I'm in London though and I think elsewhere in the country it's not so bad. I had to do rigorous interviews whereas I know people who applied in other parts of the country didn't have to interview at all.

If you don't have 3 A levels you will probably need to do an access course. This is what I did. It cost several hundred pounds and was 2 days a week for 1 year. I also did volunteer work at the maternity unit in my local hospital. This is really important as midwifery has a high drop out rate and they want to see that you understand the demands of the job and you are committed to it. Also you want to see for yourself if you like it. Midwifery is not for everyone, it can be really tough, physically and emotionally.

Being a student midwife with young children is a challenge, I won't lie. There is no accommodation for parents, we do the same shifts everyone else does and this can be nights, weekends and we often get our rota at short notice making it very hard to plan for childcare. You have to work a certain number of hours in the year to pass the course, so if you miss shifts you get into difficulty quickly.You will need a good support network, either family, partner with a flexible job or very flexible childcare. I know 1 student midwife who is a single mum with no support, she's found a childminder who will do nights and weekends etc but it would be very very hard.

I suggest speaking to the uni, go to an open day, and see what volunteering roles are available at your local hospital. Another way to gain experience would be to get a job as a health care assistant.

It is a slog but it is the best job in the world, I would never want to do anything else and I can work anywhere in the country and be pretty much guaranteed a job when I qualify. You have to love it with all your heart, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it! Feel free to ask me any questions and good luck!!

EE21 Sun 04-Jun-17 17:23:39

I'm currently into my first year as a student nurse and have 2 children, the NMC require you to do 37.5hrs per week theory and the same practice. Theory hours are uni based and are 4 days per week 9-4 and basically they expect you there. As much as they understand of you cant get in 1 or 2 days if your children are sick or your really stuck for childcare, however, apart from that there are no exceptions for being late or should you miss too many days you are required to make them up later in the year, should you miss too many to catch up you need to refer a year. Placements are exactly the same, you are counted as part of the ward staff and need to work 40% of your time with your mentor, unfortunately because of this you work when they do, you can say if there will be a day when your really stuck, as long as you give plenty of notice. Apart from that you basically work when you told too, and the notice you get per placement (for nursing anyway) is 4 weeks.I think the thought is your here because you want to be not because you were forced and can leave anytime. You will need to have an Access course in health sciences or something in biology as maths and English aren't enough to get you in. Hope this helps and good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now