Talk

Advanced search

Career prospects with an OU degree

(10 Posts)
user1472582572 Mon 27-Mar-17 11:57:19

Do employers regard a degree from the Open University degree well? I'm thinking of transferring my credits from what I previously studied and completing my degree through the Open University and obtaining their Open BA or Humanities BA. I am a single mother to a 1 year old. What jobs have people gone on to do after their Open University degrees, especially regarding Arts, Languages & and Humanities subjects?

I think it varies. You get many people saying how well respected they are but I'm not convinced - purely because a lot of OU modules are really just reading and rewriting thr specific material OU give you. As far as I'm concerned that is not reading your subject!

However, I want to point out that many normal unis now offer distance learning degrees, so it's worth checking them out before you make any decisions on institution.

TheFlyingFauxPas Sun 04-Jun-17 21:09:34

Have you studied with OU Triptrap. To do well it is not enough to 'rewrite' their material. They really require you to engage with, interrogate and discuss issues introduced in module materials.

I did Flying . i soon stopped because I found it very dumbed down I guess. The tutor on the module I was on, and others going by fb posts, was very against extra reading and stated to only use the material provided. So it was pretty much regurgitating the OU books. And yes, I done very well (and only started reading a day before each essay was due, or on the same day. It required zero effort)

I understand OU has changed somewhat, but I don't know how much in that respect.

HairsprayQueen Sun 04-Jun-17 21:53:41

The essay I've just submitted was based on both module materials and research of journals so it's not always the case.

TheFlyingFauxPas Mon 05-Jun-17 20:51:42

Not an English language module I hope TripTrap wink

likeababyelephant Mon 05-Jun-17 21:28:10

I was thinking about transferring my credits to OU. I guess what you really miss out on when atudying online is the chance to network with people and take part in employment schemes at a "real" university.

BonnesVacances Mon 05-Jun-17 21:39:59

I think it depends how you present it. I have a First in a BSc Open from the OU which took 7 years of studying. My CV specifically says that it shows commitment and tenacity (rather than expecting any prospective employer to join the dots and realise that). I didn't need to degree to do the job I'm doing but my employer also specifically said that it held a lot of value and that it said a lot about me as a person and how hard I was prepared to work.

utopialopier Tue 06-Jun-17 09:02:26

You can use the degree as a stepping stone I to further study, use it to show you have spent time at home with children constructively. It shows you're disciplined and self motivated. And it's hard work. There are assessments and exams.

Trip trap, did you quit the OU before studying at a high level? Because certainly at level 3 and some level 2 courses you have to research and use journals. Really hope you didn't study English too!

leonardthelemming Tue 06-Jun-17 09:06:47

The University of York accepted me to do an MA (by research, Science Education) on the basis of my OU degree. I was already a teacher - the research was carried out in school - and I continued to teach subsequently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now