Talk

Advanced search

any students able to help me boost my mum's confidence?

(6 Posts)
Cappuccino Tue 27-Feb-07 11:40:55

my mum has just started a new course - she's retired and has done quite a few courses before, but this one is at kind of undergraduate level and she feels a bit inadequate, particularly in terms of her essay writing skills

the tutor has said some things that she has interpreted as meaning she's not up to it - but when she told me what they were it's obvious that it is her lack of confidence in her abilities that is the problem - she has never felt confident because she didn't go to university (more out of fear than anything else I think, she's a good deal more intelligent than a lot of the people I did my degree with)

I wondered if there was anyone who has gone back into education after a few years off who could recommend any study skills books I could buy her or give any handy tips?

MiaWallace Tue 27-Feb-07 13:30:32

I would recommend these Cappuccino study guides

Full of handy tips. The 'How to write essays' one is very good. Plus £5 for 6 makes them a bargin.

Cappuccino Wed 28-Feb-07 10:02:12

oh thanks those look great and not too huge and thick to put her off

she is being so stubborn about this whole thing that she is making me very cross

MiaWallace Wed 28-Feb-07 10:35:21

They are very easy just to dip in and out of. Very thin, but contains loads of good information.

Hopefully they will give her some confidence.

fireflyfairy2 Wed 28-Feb-07 10:43:26

There are a lot of maturer than me students on my degree course!!

Some of them are in their 50's & 60's They usually sit with the rest if the students & we all help each other out! They all have passed an access course recently, which helped prepare them for the essay writing etc.... but those study guides are fantastic!

Best of luck to your mammy!!

beansontoast Thu 01-Mar-07 12:47:38

hi
just to say to your mum that it's alright to not be very good!....she is there to learn how to write essays..and it might take a bit of time...but thats ok...she'll get there.

soemone once had to spell out the very same message to me nearly four years ago
x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now