Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you get motivated?

(16 Posts)
nikkie Sat 24-Feb-07 14:42:05

I have juste restarted Ou and am doing 2 10 point courses to get myself into it again, as they are online and no tutorials I am finding it much more difficult to get motivated.Any suggestions???

Snaf Sat 24-Feb-07 14:43:33

Nope, sorry! I have a 3000 word essay to write this weekend. Hence Mumsnet...

nikkie Sat 24-Feb-07 14:48:47

Thats it , as soon as i switch the internet on I come here

Molesworth Sat 24-Feb-07 14:51:30

Try setting yourself a tiny target - I mean literally 10 minutes of study. Idea being it's such a small target it doesn't put you off, and once the 10 mins is up you might feel like carrying on?

MrsWednesday Sat 24-Feb-07 14:54:57

I'm supposedly doing a 4000 word assignment - and look where I am!

The course I'm doing is an online study one like yours, so no tutorials or anything like that. I also work 4 days a week so there's not a lot of time left for studying.

I've found the best thing to do is set myself a target of working 4 nights a week, Monday to Thursday, then give myself the rest of the week off. It means the first part of the week is fairly tedious, but at least I get to enjoy my weekends. Also having a proper desk, somewhere to leave all my stuff so I can go back to it easily is a big help.

Not sure if that's any help, but you do have my sympathy!

Right, no more excuses, got to get on with my work (my DH has taken our boys to his parents for the day so I can get on with my assignment - have promised to get 1000 words done today....)

nikkie Sat 24-Feb-07 15:01:42

Yeah I work too , 3 days then am out 2 evenings a week.Should be doing some when kids are at their Dads though.
No desk , laptop is on a tiny table so not even room nest to it!
10 mins is a good idea though!

squidette Sat 24-Feb-07 15:53:55

Action creates motivation.

I too have a bit of a problem with motivation, i always have had. That and procrastination. Amazing that i have suddenly decided to bake/iron/clean the loo when i have reading and an assignement to complete. And its not that i dont want to do them, but more a fear or trepidation that it will be difficult and i will find it challenging. If i dont do it, i cant fail it!

I have been convinced (when i do it!) that action does indeed create motivation. The more i do, the more i understand and the more i understand, the more i want to do.

There will ALWAYS be other things to do - work, housestuff, children things. Loo cleaning.......

bobsyouruncle Sat 24-Feb-07 15:58:07

I've just signed up for a 10 point OU course too, it started last week but unfortunately I haven't started yet!? A million excuses but just can't get motivated either really...

nikkie Sat 24-Feb-07 16:13:25

one of mine started start of Feb one strted last week.
Don't suppose you are doing Genetics bobsyouruncle?
Now Ican't get on OU site anyway!

Snaf Sat 24-Feb-07 16:29:53

Yup, ScienceDirect is down, so I can't get that article I need. What a shame, eh?

nikkie Sat 24-Feb-07 17:00:12

bobsyouruncle Sat 24-Feb-07 18:07:25

yes I'm doing Genetics. Well I will be when I get started... Will start it this weekend honest!

tiredemma Sat 24-Feb-07 18:20:01

God- theres a question.

I have three assignments to do over the next 6 weeks.

I need to find out where this 'motivation' thing hangs out.

nikkie Sat 24-Feb-07 20:02:26

Ok we can compare notes on what we haven't done!
Have you done OU before?

tiredemma Sat 24-Feb-07 21:08:03

Not OU no, I have done access and am currently doing a nursing degree. Im also losing the will to live as I have a social theory assignment glaring at me across the table that I cannot do as im clueless.

bobsyouruncle Sat 24-Feb-07 21:49:48

I started a 60 point course then realised I was kidding myself and signed up for a 10 point course instead!? Planning to do the 60 point course when both dd and ds are in school... I haven't done OU before but I have done an access course, a degree in Psychology & a post grad qualification - pre children though! Will definitely compare notes when I get started!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now