Talk

Advanced search

Help Flutterbee by filling out her abortion questionnaire for her college course!!!!

(64 Posts)
flutterbee Wed 21-Feb-07 12:16:56

Understandably this is a very sensitive subject for many people so all answers will be treated in strict confidence.

I am asking for people to fill it in on here because I know there is such a wide variation of opinion, age and religion (I will have to hunt some males down to fill it in as well)

Because it is such a sensitive subject I will happily accept answers to my e-mail, once the answers have been noted down I shall delete the e-mail.

NO NAMES ARE NEEDED SO FEEL FREE TO NAME CHANGE ETC.

OK I shall list the questions in my next post.

flutterbee Wed 21-Feb-07 12:24:26

1. Do you agree with the use of abortion to end a pregnancy when:

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child?

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape?

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship?

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties?

e) The pregnancy is unwanted?

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion?

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit?

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be?

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion?

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS?

6. Do you think that abotion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s?

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion?

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer..........................................................................

Sex ---

Age ---

Religion ---

Anyone who wishes to e-mail me with a response can do so at flutterbee at hotmail dot com.

jofeb04 Wed 21-Feb-07 13:00:21

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child? DIFFICULT TO SAY, DEPENDS ON SEVERITY OF DISABILITY

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape? YES

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship? YES

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties? YES

e) The pregnancy is unwanted? YES

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion? IF IN LOVING RELATIONSHIP, THEN YES, BUT IF IT IS THROUGH RAPE, THEN WHY SHOULD HE

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? NO

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be? UNSURE, BUT BABIES CAN SURVIVED BEING BORN AT 24WEEKS

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion? NO

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS? YES

6. Do you think that abotion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s? YES, BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND WHEN DD IS OLDER (SHE IS ONLY 17MONTHS)

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion? NO

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer, MAINLY BECAUSE IT IS NOT KNOWN IF THE PERSON IS PREGNANT, BUT I ALSO DON'T SEE IT AS A FORM OF CONTRACEPTION EITHER

Sex Female

Age 25

Religion none

Hope that helps! I'm not shouting in it, just making it more clearer for you!

flutterdave Wed 21-Feb-07 14:04:21

Sorry I missed off question 7

7. Do you feel that your religious beliefs influence your opinion on abortion?

sorry sorry sorry and thanks to those that have replied.

Hulababy Wed 21-Feb-07 14:12:58

a) depends on the degree of disability and the stage of pregnancy this is found

b) yes

c) yes

d) yes

e) yes

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion?

I think ideally it sould be a joint decision between the man and woman, but ultimately the woman must have final say as it is her body.

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit?

I would prefer it to be lower unless there are specific circumstances that make it not viable based on mother's health or the baby ot being compatable with life.

a) I don't know; not without research - but a 22 week baby survived so I guess not as high as that.

Someone I know has in the past

Yes

6. Do you think that abotion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s?

No, I think parents/guardians should be informed so they can provide support before, during and afterwards.

No

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion?

No, no more than the contraceptive pill is. It is to prevent a pregnancy from occuring rather than ending a pregnancy isn't it? It shouldn't be seen as a form of contraceotion though.

Sex female

Age 34

Religion CoE, not practising

lulumama Wed 21-Feb-07 14:25:43

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child? DEPENDS ON SEVERITY- AND IF THE RAMIFACTIONS OF THE DISABILTY HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED RATIONALLY AND WITH REFERENCE TO ANY SUPPORT AVAILABLE...IN AN IDEAL WORLD, OBVIOUSLY ! IF NOT COMPATIBLE WITH LIFE, THEN THERE IS NO QUESTION AT ALL.

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape? ABSOLUTELY

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship? ABSOLUTELY

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties? YES, ESP IF THERE ARE OTHER CHILDREN ALREADY

e) The pregnancy is unwanted? YES, AS YOU CANNOT FORCE SOMEONE TO STAY PREGNANT ! I THINK EDUCATION RE CONTRACEPTION AND THE RIGHT WAY TO USE IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY USEFUL, IF NOT USING CONTRACEPTION, RATHER THAN IT FAILING IS THE REASON FOR AN UNWANTED PREGNANCY. UNWANTED CAN COVER SO MANY THINGS, CAN;T IT?

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion? NO, AS HE IS NOT THE ONE WHO HAS TO CARRY THE BABY OR HAVE THE TERMINATION OR BE THERE FOR THE CHILD IF BORN..SO NO, THE WOMAN NEEDS THE FINAL SAY AND AUTONOMY OVER HER CHOICES....AS CURTAILING THAT AUTONOMY IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? NO ,I THINK IT IS TOO HIGH, AND MEDICAL SCIENCE IS ALLOWING BABIES TO BE SAVED WHEN BORN AT A SIMILAR GESTATION.

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be? 18 - 20 WEEKS , BUT I THINK THAT THERE SHOULD BE SOME DISCUSSION AS TO WHAT GESTATION IS TOO LOW FOR AGGRESIVE LIFE SAVING MEASURES AS THE BOUNDARIES ARE BLURRED HERE ,AREN;T THEY?

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion? NOT ME PERSONALLY, BUT KNOW OF ONE WOMAN WHO HAS

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS? ARE THEY NOT FREE BEFORE A CERTAIN GESTATION? I SUPPOSE , YES THEY SHOULD BE

6. Do you think that abotion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s? DEPENDS ON THE FAMILY CIRCUMSTANCES...REALLY HARD TO ANSWER THAT ACTUALLY...DEPENDS ON THE MATURITY OF THE GIRL ASKING, AND HER AGE.IF SHE IS 12 OR 13, THEN I THINK SO, BUT 15 + IS A BIT TRICKIER..A THORNY ISSUE I THINK

7. Do you feel that your religious beliefs influence your opinion on abortion? NO, NOT AT ALL

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion? NEVER REALLY THOUGHT IF IT THAT WAY.....SO NO

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer.BECAUSE IT IS PRESUMING THERE HAS BEEN FERTILISATION, WHICH MIGHT WELL NOT BE THE CASE, IT IS NOT CAUSING AN IMPLANTED EMBRYO TO DETACH FROM THE WOMB...IT IS TO STOP A POSSIBLE PREGNANCY OCCURING, WHICH IS DIFFERENT TO TERMINATING A CONFIRMED PREGNACY.........................................................................

Sex ---FEMALE

Age ---31

Religion ---JEWISH

clairemow Wed 21-Feb-07 14:26:02

1. a) Yes

b) yes

c) yes

d) yes

e) yes

2. yes, although I recognise this isn't always possible.

3. I think the age limit should be lower as I know quite a few babies born at 26 weeks who survived. I don't think the age limit should be seen as set in stone though, individual circumstances and issues must be considered.

a)Not sure, I don't know enough.

4. no, not that I'm aware of.

5. yes.

6. no, although there must be situations in which telling parents/guardians would be inadvisable. The rules should allow for individual circumstances to be taken into account.

7. no.

8. no - because the morning after pill is taken within 72 hours of having sex - it is stopping a pregnancy occurring, not ending a pregnancy that has already started (I think?).

Sex --- female

Age --- 34

Religion --- none.

berolina Wed 21-Feb-07 14:34:16

Dependent on severity. If severely life-limiting/incompatible, yes.

yes

yes

see e)

d) and e) difficult. I might not personally 'agree' with TOP in these circumstances but the alternative to it being available is horrific. So yes, I am pro-choice.

no

no - I would feel more 'comfortable' with 18-20 weeks.

see above

not to my knowledge

yes

no - but that's of course assuming that the parents are loving, caring and will act in their child's best interests

no

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer
Doesn't it act to prevent implantation? IMO conception is fertilisation + implantation, not fertilisation alone (a huge % of fertilised eggs are lost pre-implantation)

7. (about the religious beliefs) yes, but my realisation about the fact we are not in an ideal world affects my opinion more.

Sex --- F

Age --- 29 (still, just about)

Religion --- CofE

Rhian101 Wed 21-Feb-07 14:34:40

a) yes but this should only fall within the 24 week limit

b) yes

c) yes

d) yes

e) yes

The woman must always have the final say

Yes

Friends have, and I have considered it, but chose against. It's all about the choice for me!

Yes

No, I do believe that if you are deemed too young to vote or have sex then you are too young to have the pressure of this decision placed upon you alone. Unless it is a consequence of rape.

No

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without prescription) is a form of abortion?

No, since its purpose is to stop the possible implantation in the womb then it is not the elimination of a viable foetus.

Sex female

Age 26

Religion None

Indith Wed 21-Feb-07 14:52:28

Yes up to a point, although that brings up the question of what constitutes a severe disability.
Yes
Yes

I suppose this really would fall under e) so I would have to answer yes

Yes because I believe in the right to choose and know that even the best contraception can fail.

In an ideal world, but at the end of the day he is not the one whose body is affected however harsh that may sound.

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? As advances are made and younger babies survive perhaps not but for medical reasons, severe disabilities etc I would agree with 24 weeks, afterall if the screenings are done at 20 weeks by the time results come through and a choice is made then it is easy to reach 24 weeks.

As I said I would perhaps keep 24 for medical reasons but I would go for about 20 for a 'normal' pregnancy.

Friends have.

Yes

No hard and fast answer really but in most cases no. A girl of that age is most likely still living with parents etc, she will need the emotional support at home no matter how mature she is.
7. No
I never did although after taking it I did feel uneasy.
Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer..........................................................................

No because it prevents implantation.
Yes because it does not prevent fertilization and personally I can't help but think of what could have been, was there a fertilized egg that could have implanted but didn't? I think too much.

Sex ---F

Age ---23

Religion ---random

funkimummy Wed 21-Feb-07 15:04:04

answers to question one (all of them) It depends on the individual. I don't believe there is a cut and dried answer for anyone, and it's a very personal decision to make for each of the scenarios. If someone makes the decision to have an abortion for the reasons stated, then it's up to them.

2. No, the man doesn't have to carry the unborn child for nine months.

3. Hmmm in lieu of the 22 weeks pregnant lady taking home her child for first time - It needs very evidently to be reviewed.

3a - for medical profession to decide.

4. Yes

5. They ARE available for free on the NHS. (talking from personal experience.)

6. Legally, no, as the parent still has legal responsibilities over the child. I believe there are also other moral and ethical issues involved in this answer. Society owes a child under the age of 16 a duty of care.

7. I don't believe it is a form of abortion. But then this is not an educated answer, it's just my belief.

Age - 28
Sex - female
Region - none

funkimummy Wed 21-Feb-07 15:05:46

sorry, 7 should read - not religious. 8 should read - I don't believe it is a form of abortion. But then this is not an educated answer, it's just my belief.

loujay Wed 21-Feb-07 15:27:14

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child? *this would depend on the severity of the disability*

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape? Yes

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship? *Not sure*

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties? No

e) The pregnancy is unwanted? Yes

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion? No

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? *Prior to becoming pregnant I would have said yes now I would say it needs to be lowered BUT the NHS needs to get its act together with tests etc for those who may have to make difficult decsisions, the waitig time for results is at present too long*

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be? 16

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion? yes

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS? yes

6. Do you think that abotion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s? yes

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion? no

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer *it is my understanding that the MAP is used within 72 hours of having sex, therefore preventing a pregnancy happening and not actually terminating an already present foetus*

Sex Female

Age 37

Religion None

Birdiebump Wed 21-Feb-07 15:40:36

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child? YES

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape? YES

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship? YES

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties? NOT AS A SOLE REASON BUT IT IS ULTIMATELY THE MOTHER'S CHOICE.

e) The pregnancy is unwanted? YES

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion? NO - WHATEVER THE CIRCUMSTANCES THE MOTHER'S DECISION SHOULD BE FINAL.

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? DIFFICULT! PROBABLY SHOULD BE BROUGHT BACK SO LONG AS DIAGNOSTIC TESTS ETC CAN BE PERFORMED EARLIER.

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be? 18 - 20 WEEKS.

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion? NOT ME BUT SOME CLOSE FRIENDS.

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS? YES.

6. Do you think that abortion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s? NOT UNLESS THERE WERE MITIGATING FAMILY CIRCUMSTANCES - EG. ABUSE OR OTHER PROBLEMS.

7. Do you feel that your religious beliefs influence your opinion on abortion? NO.

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion? NO!

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer.

WHEN TAKEN IT IS NOT KNOWN WHETHER OR NOT THE WOMAN IS PREGNANT - IT IS ALMOST TANTAMOUNT TO CALLING CONTRACEPTION A FORM OF ABORTION.

Sex --- F

Age --- 41

Religion AGNOSTIC

hairymclary Wed 21-Feb-07 15:40:43

a) yes

b) yes

c) yes

d) yes

e) yes

2. no

3. no

a)12 weeks if it is for personal reasons (ie, b,c,d or e in question 1)
later if it is for medical reasons that may not be discovered until later

4. yes

5. Yes

6. yes

8. no
when taking the morning after pill you're probably not yet pregnant.

Sex -f

Age 27

Religion -n/a

hairymclary Wed 21-Feb-07 15:41:24

oops, sorry. question 7 is no

pretendmum Wed 21-Feb-07 15:45:21

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child? depending upon the severity of the disability and the childs quality of life

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape? yes

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship? yes

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties? yes

e) The pregnancy is unwanted? yes

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion? no

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? No I think it is too high considering babies have lived baeing born before this point

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be? 20 weeks

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion? no but know people who have

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS? yes

6. Do you think that abotion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s? yes but would strongly advise childen to tell their parents

7. Do you feel that your religious beliefs influence your opinion on abortion? no

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion? no

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer The morning after pill stops someone being pregnant, and doesnt end a pregnancy.

Sex female

Age 18

Religion CofE but very lax

flutterdave Wed 21-Feb-07 19:29:48

Just a quick bump for the evening crowd.

Thank-you so much to everyone who has responded so far both on here and via e-mail, it really is a HUGE help

Oh and just to let you know, I am aware that abotions are free on the NHS, I am just asking if people feel this is correct. I should have worded the question a little differently.

Miaou Wed 21-Feb-07 19:47:13

flutterbee, have sent you an email. I am a bit shy of sharing my opinions [wimp].

Made me think about things I often avoid thinking about, tbh. Thank you.

QuootiepieTheOnlyPie Wed 21-Feb-07 19:50:40

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child? NO

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape? NO

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship? NO

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties? NO!

e) The pregnancy is unwanted? NO

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion? Depends on situation (?)

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? NO

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be? If anything, 16

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion? YES

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS? NO

6. Do you think that abotion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s? NO

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion? YES

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer.......................................................................... Doesn't it get rid of an already fertilised egg?

Sex --- Female

Age ---
Religion ---
Catholic

QuootiepieTheOnlyPie Wed 21-Feb-07 19:51:52

7. Do you feel that your religious beliefs influence your opinion on abortion? NO

Lost no 7

I hope that helps xXx

colditz Wed 21-Feb-07 19:55:29

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child? Yes

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape? Yes

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship? Yes

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties? Yes

e) The pregnancy is unwanted? Yes

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion? No

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? No

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be? 12 weeks

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion? Yes a friend

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS? Yes

6. Do you think that abortion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s? No but also Social Services

8. Do you believe that the morning after pill (now available from pharmacies without presciption) is a form of abortion? No

Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer.....It prevents implantation rather than removes a present embryo.....................................................................

Sex ---Female

Age ---26

Religion ---None

PeachyClair Wed 21-Feb-07 19:56:36

. Do you agree with the use of abortion to end a pregnancy when:

a) There is a possibility of disability in the child? Onl;y if incompatible with life

b) The woman has fallen preganant due to rape? yes- emotional damge, although I think intensive counselling/ supportshould also be offered

c) The woman is in a violent oe abusive relationship? yes, as children often become victims- however back to the support in the answer above

d) It would cause the parent/s financial difficulties? No

e) The pregnancy is unwanted? Only if under 16

2. Do you think that the man should have as much say as the woman when making a decision about abortion? No- men can just walk out, its a womens body

3. The upper age limit for when terminations are allowed is currently 24 weeks. Do you agree with this age limit? No, a baby can survuive at 22 weeks; makes no sense to me.

a)If not, what would you suggest the upper age limit in weeks should be? 16 weeks excepting medical reasons (inc. mental health) / low maternal age

4. Have you or anyone you know had an abortion? Yes, my Mum for rubella damage

5. Do you think that abortions should be available for free on the NHS? Yes

6. Do you think that abotion should be offered to somone under the age of 16 without informing the parent/s? Only in exceptional circumstances

no
Please briefly explain your reasoning for this answer..Implantation hasn't taken place........................................................................

Sex ---
F
Age ---

PeachyClair Wed 21-Feb-07 19:57:01

Oops!

religion- confused

PeachyClair Wed 21-Feb-07 19:58:41

religious beliefs- nope, ethical beliefs yes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now