Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm a nervous wreck

(20 Posts)
MiaWallace Wed 21-Feb-07 08:41:56

For the last ten years I have been waiting for the opportunity to go to university. Due to financies,berevements and childcare issues I've never had the chance.

Now I'm finally at a stage in my life where it's possible.

Tomorrow I have an interview for university. I have only applied to one university due to the commute involved.

So a ten year dream all rests on a few hours tomorrow.

I'm so nervous I know I'm going to go to pieces. I would be very grateful for any tips or advice.

Thanks

edam Wed 21-Feb-07 08:47:15

Breathe! Seriously, before you go in, do some deep breathing, in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try to use your diaphragm, not just your chest. Will relax you and stop you panicking. And in the interview, don't rush into any answers if you are nervous - use verbal delays such as 'that's an interesting question' to give you a few seconds thinking time. And be honest with them about this being a ten year dream - they need to know that you are keen. Think about why you would be the right person for this place, from the uni's POV, as well as why you want it, and tell them.

Good luck!

MiaWallace Wed 21-Feb-07 15:55:51

Thanks edam. Some good advice there. Still a bag of nerves mind. Well at least this time tomorrow it will all be over.

Molesworth Wed 21-Feb-07 16:08:46

What are you going to study MiaW?

V excited for you - you know, I'm sure the interview will be fine. As far as I know universities love taking on keen mature students - better attitude than most of the younger students

GOOD LUCK!

MiaWallace Wed 21-Feb-07 16:57:49

Thank-you Molesworth. I've applied to study childhood and youth studies. Long term goal is to teach.

Lets hope you're right about the unviersitites being eager to take on mature students.

Upsadaisy Wed 21-Feb-07 17:15:02

All the best for tommorrow....though I'm sure you'll be fine. Remember if your mind starts going ten to the dozen slow it down. Most students in my class are mature students....thankgoodness.

castlesintheair Wed 21-Feb-07 17:22:28

If you have got to the interview stage you are nearly there. Just remember, you are not expected to know the answers (that is what you are going there to learn), they just want to see you have the right aptitude & are keen. Good luck! I went back to to university later in life and definitely got more out of it than in my teens/early 20s.

Davesworth Thu 22-Feb-07 13:40:27

<waits to find out how it went>

MiaWallace Thu 22-Feb-07 18:31:35

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Unfortunately I think it went really bad. I was so nervous I turned into a bumbling wreck.

To make it worse they told me they only accept four mature students a year. I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be one of them

Jennylee Thu 22-Feb-07 18:52:22

Sorry to hear that , but there might still be a chance so don't give up yet

tia2 Thu 22-Feb-07 19:09:52

JUST HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF MIA AND YOU WILL KNOCK THEM DEAD!

tia2 Thu 22-Feb-07 19:11:44

AH MIA ISINT THERE SOME OTHER WAY? CANT YOU DO A HOME STUDY COURSE OR DO THEY ONLY DO IT IN UNI? BIT WRONG ONLY TAKING ON FOUR MATURE STUDENTS!

Faith8 Thu 22-Feb-07 21:04:04

Don't give up. When a door closes a window opens and all that. Good luck.

MiaWallace Fri 23-Feb-07 11:20:24

Well after spending the night crying I'm trying to come up with a contingency plan. Any suggestions?

chacha3 Fri 23-Feb-07 12:00:46

home study hun? or have you been down that avenue already

Why do they only take 4 mature students a year??! That's discrimination surely!

I'm doing the OU Mia... is that an option for you?

(Yia why are you SHOUTING?)

castlesintheair Fri 23-Feb-07 12:17:39

Don't give up yet Mia, might they still take you? I was convinced I hadn't got a place at university because one guy was arguing with me really aggressively but apparently it was all part of the good cop/bad cop scenario. Can you try somewhere else?

MiaWallace Fri 23-Feb-07 16:44:59

Home study is a last resort to be honest. Part of the dream of going to uni was to have the opportunity to debate thoughts and ideas. Don't think I could really motivate myself to do an OU course. Thank-you for all your suggestions, it's made the disappointment slightly easier. I haven't totally given up hope. Until the rejection turns up I'm still in with a chance. Please send me any positive vibes going spare.

Thanks

juicychops Fri 23-Feb-07 17:22:10

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<positive vibes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

coming your way!!

Good luck Mia

When will you find out?

MiaWallace Fri 23-Feb-07 21:03:22

They said it will take a week or two to get the results. It will feel like a life time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now