Talk

Advanced search

Worth going to uni?

(7 Posts)
vegmum83 Wed 02-Nov-16 08:06:07

I'm on maternity leave atm, basically I have a good job salary around £30k ft but I could go to uni to do a degree with which I could potentially earn more (about £10k+ more)
It's in a field I already work in so know a lot about and am experienced in but just wondering whether it's worth the student debt it would put me in and the repayments.
I would need help with tuition fees and maintenance loan etc.

vegmum83 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:19:10

I suppose I'm just after some advice/opinion of maybe someone who went to uni with a young child as a mature student (I'm 31) and was it worth it if you had to get student loans etc? I've worked I'd maybe be about £50k in student debt by the time I left.

Bluntness100 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:22:29

Ten k more is a very small increase. So it begs the question are you doing it because you want a career change? Because you are not doing it for the money and you have no guarantee of a job,

What do you do now versus what do you wish to study?

2014newme Wed 02-Nov-16 13:28:06

It doesn't sound worth accruing So much debt in your case. Do it through open uni part time or skip to a relevant postgraduate course

vegmum83 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:34:34

Basically I'm a dispensing optician who is a manager but I'm looking into doing optometry as I've always been more interested in the clinical side more of the business. I could have the potential to earn more than the extra £10k maybe depending on where I work and I don't think getting a job would be an issue after the degree as I already have 14 years experience in this industry.
I'm still not sure if it's worth the debt though.

Louw12345 Thu 29-Dec-16 00:21:03

Do you mean you would have to give up work to do the degree? If so I wouldn't bother but would see if work can put you through a course.

OutDamnedWind Thu 29-Dec-16 00:59:09

Would you be eligible for student finance through tuition fee loan/maintenance loan, or would you be funding it privately? Debt through government student finance is a very different thing to debt through taking a bank loan or similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now