Talk

Advanced search

Worth going to uni?

(7 Posts)
vegmum83 Wed 02-Nov-16 08:06:07

I'm on maternity leave atm, basically I have a good job salary around £30k ft but I could go to uni to do a degree with which I could potentially earn more (about £10k+ more)
It's in a field I already work in so know a lot about and am experienced in but just wondering whether it's worth the student debt it would put me in and the repayments.
I would need help with tuition fees and maintenance loan etc.

vegmum83 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:19:10

I suppose I'm just after some advice/opinion of maybe someone who went to uni with a young child as a mature student (I'm 31) and was it worth it if you had to get student loans etc? I've worked I'd maybe be about £50k in student debt by the time I left.

Bluntness100 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:22:29

Ten k more is a very small increase. So it begs the question are you doing it because you want a career change? Because you are not doing it for the money and you have no guarantee of a job,

What do you do now versus what do you wish to study?

2014newme Wed 02-Nov-16 13:28:06

It doesn't sound worth accruing So much debt in your case. Do it through open uni part time or skip to a relevant postgraduate course

vegmum83 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:34:34

Basically I'm a dispensing optician who is a manager but I'm looking into doing optometry as I've always been more interested in the clinical side more of the business. I could have the potential to earn more than the extra £10k maybe depending on where I work and I don't think getting a job would be an issue after the degree as I already have 14 years experience in this industry.
I'm still not sure if it's worth the debt though.

Louw12345 Thu 29-Dec-16 00:21:03

Do you mean you would have to give up work to do the degree? If so I wouldn't bother but would see if work can put you through a course.

OutDamnedWind Thu 29-Dec-16 00:59:09

Would you be eligible for student finance through tuition fee loan/maintenance loan, or would you be funding it privately? Debt through government student finance is a very different thing to debt through taking a bank loan or similar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: