Talk

Advanced search

Anyone studying English Literature?

(4 Posts)
user1472582572 Fri 30-Sep-16 15:54:38

Is anyone here studying English Literature or has studied English Literature at university level? How did you balance your studies and reading with taking care of a child or children?

BeauticianNotMagician81 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:37:21

I'm not much help but wanted to follow this as I'm considering studying English Literature and Creative Writing with the OU. I have four children aged 11,10, 3 and 4 months.

mugglebumthesecond Sun 18-Dec-16 13:15:42

I'm studying English Lang/lit and only have a couple of modules now until I graduate. I haven't particularly enjoyed the lit side of it but my skill has always been language/languages. Coping ok though and you really do not have to read all the set books fully through to get a good pass. A lot of it is thinking critically about the texts, contexts, close textual analysis, general essay writing technique. It's a heavy workload but I'm getting through it and because the course is so populate there is a lot of support.smile

youngmum2005 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:17:20

I finished my english degree at a traditional russell group university with a small child and then did a postgraduate english masters.

This was a long time ago and I wasn't aware of MN so it was very isolating and quite hard.

I guess the big thing that I remember was having to think about how best to manage my time. I found that I could quite easily read the core texts while at home (my DD was 1yrs when I went back) but research and books about books were harder to take in. I tended to retreat to a university library to focus on writing, research and thinking. Although online journals are fantastic, it was just too distracting to focus, read and think when baby is chattering in the corner!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now