Talk

Advanced search

I think I've made a huge mistake. should I quit? i'm so worried.

(4 Posts)
danielthespaniel Mon 19-Oct-15 16:54:02

I was supposed to start university a few weeks ago. I went to the induction but for some reason my anxiety kicked in massively and I couldn't go to the first lecture. since then I've kept trying to build myself up to go but cant do it. I've now missed the entire first 3 teaching weeks. I'm worried that I've missed so much it is pointless to even think about going and should leave. I'm such a failure. I don't know what to do. I've had a look on the student online service and there is so much I have missed. I don't think I can catch up. I did an adult access course last year and I found that tough enough trying to study in the evenings around DC and all their homework and activities and there was a lot less involved than this degree course. I am starting to think that even if I was caught up I don't think I would be able to manage. they said to expect to commit 30 hours of home based studying on top of the classes. my schedule has me in 5 days and it is over an hour each way travelling. I don't know what to do. I was so proud of myself for getting into university and I know my family would be so disappointed if I quit but I don't think I can cope with it. I want to get the degree but I don't think I can manage the time involved. I have been a bundle of nerves for over 3 weeks now. to make matters worse I have been lying to everyone saying that uni is going well. no-one knows that I haven't even been. I feel sick every time I think about going in. if I leave now will I still owe back all the student fees for the whole year? this is such a mess. I feel like such a disappointment.

Nightwish Mon 19-Oct-15 19:19:26

Have you spoken to your tutor or student services?
They are there to help you and can probably give you the information you need to enable you to make the decision of whether to carry on or stop.

I think realistically the first week is induction to the modules, so you should only have missed two weeks of teaching.

If you want to go back then talking to your lecturers and explain what is happening, I would be surprised if they don't help.
If you don't think you can face it then I suggest you inform SFE and the University asap, I believe there is a cut off date for the amount of fees you will owe, possibly the 1st December, but not completely sure.

Also if your anxiety is limiting you this much maybe you should consider finding better ways to control it or different medication.

Best of luck whichever you choose!

danielthespaniel Wed 21-Oct-15 11:05:24

Hi, thanks for your post. Ive made the decision to leave the course and have just this morning emailed my personal tutor to let them know. I've also made an appointment with my GP to discuss my anxiety. I dont feel well at all so i know i really need to get this sorted. Thanks again.

Purplerain067 Sun 22-Nov-15 22:07:36

Hiya, I could have easily written this post two years ago. I feel for you, I really do. I didn't quit, I completed my foundation degree against all the odds stacked up against me but it has not been easy, not at all. You have to make the decision that's best for you and if that means leaving then do not feel guilty, your health is definitely more important. I didn't attend my graduation- I was so angry with myself for weeks and I'm sure I disappointed members of my family, but it was the best decision for me at the time and I stand by it now.
I still miss a lot of my current lessons and am often forced to catch up.
Anxiety is such a joy killer, but it doesn't define you. Just remember you are not your anxiety. I'm glad to hear you are going back to your GP tho, sounds like you need a little more help and support. Try healthy minds too if they work in your area, they're fab. I find the headspace app useful too, especially when travelling.

I hope you feel lots better soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now