Talk

Advanced search

I've been in 'the student room'

(9 Posts)
Zame Tue 07-Jul-15 22:18:53

And the degree I hope to do is always being described as a Mickey Mouse degree. I was/am excited about it , I find the forum pretty irritating and depressing overall anyway so I should ignore all these wanky opinions yes?
The uni I am going to ain't one of the 'best' and I get that it's not a maths or science degree (it's business) but it'll be relevant in the workplace surely! I don't have lofty ambitions, just to make enough to provide well for the children.
I'm probably just too old for the student room

Smurfingreat Tue 07-Jul-15 22:23:57

I'd ignore it. I studied business and I've survived. TBH Student Room is quite amusing at times, I'm a student landlord now and read it to make sure I understand my market, but so much of what happens online is such bullshit compared to the real students I see every day it is really not relevant in real life. Good luck with your degree.

Zame Tue 07-Jul-15 22:27:48

Thank god it's not all real, they can be so obnoxious. But then I guess I was when I was that age, and possibly still am who knows.
Thank you

Letmegetanamechange Wed 08-Jul-15 08:46:24

I used to be a member a few years ago, back when it was actually quite interesting and useful for my A-levels. I occasionally go on it to flick through and just feel a bit hopeless for the students of today. Obviously TSR isn't representative of all students, but now it just seems to be full of idiots hmm

If you want to study business then don't listen to what anyone else may say, especially some 18 year old keyboard warrior who thinks he's right about everything!

Zame Wed 08-Jul-15 09:31:41

There's a few on there who are reasonable, they're few and far between. i guess I need to remember that on Internet forums, all is not usually as it seems, I'll try to take it all with a very large pinch of salt

mygreeneyedboy Tue 04-Aug-15 10:52:03

Don't listen to the student room ! - it's full of teenagers who haven't actually done a degree. Business is a fab degree to pick - I wish I had! I picked politics but I'm hoping I have the chance to do a masters in business to open more doors. Have you thought about what type of business you want to study? There are so many different options..!

Zame Thu 06-Aug-15 18:09:23

Not a clue! I would possibly be interested in a role in HR but I'm hoping this course will give me some more ideas. At the moment i have team leader kind of position in a small company and would like to progress once in back in work full time.
I almost studies politics! Only lasted a couple of weeks in the course though.....
Are you looking into studying a masters?

FunkyColdOedema Sun 27-Sep-15 00:27:27

I think you'd be better off looking at prospects.ac.uk for information on how your course can get you to where you want to be smile

Beth2511 Fri 11-Dec-15 09:15:21

I used to be really heavily involved in the student room, was a top level mod etc. However it gained massively in popularity and admin killed every ounce of decent quality it had in order to make more profit so now only obnoxious little know it alls use it now. Ignore them! I have always stated that some of the respected subjects on student room like history are no good because so many do them.

Ultimately your degree is what you make it and will be as good quality and respected as the effort you put into it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now