Advanced search

Partner full time student, eligible for benefits?

(14 Posts)
peachey96 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:16:48

My partner is a full time student, and I'm currently at home with 10mo LO, supposed to be starting my degree in September, but don't feel ready to leave LO at nursery all day sad
Does anyone know where we'd stand financially in this kind of situation? Would I be eligible for any benefits? Is my OH classed as having an income from his student loans?
Thank you

MishMooshAndMogwai Sat 20-Jun-15 18:21:11

I was told Id lose most of my benefits due to my student loan however I was still entitled to tax credits and housing benefit.

It depends what elements of student finance he is applying for I think

bloodyteenagers Sat 20-Jun-15 18:26:49

Why not a job then around his study hours?
Study from home?

peachey96 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:31:01

Thank you smile

OH has a high number of contact hours each week, and the times vary each week so it would be difficult to find a job around that, although I'll look into whether we'd be better off if I had a weekend job.

How does studying from home work with student finance? Would I still be eligible for tuition fee loans and living cost loans?

NerrSnerr Sat 20-Jun-15 18:37:20

I think you both need to speak to student services and/ or CAB about what you'd be entitled to. If I'm honest I think you might struggle being 2 full time students, especially if you need to pay for childcare.

peachey96 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:53:12

If we are both full time students (at a brick uni, not distance learning) then we are fine financially, that was the original plan smile But I struggled with PND and feel like I'm not ready to let him start nursery or me be away from him, so I'm looking into alternatives. I don't know how different funding is for OU compared to normal unis though.

Petallic Sat 20-Jun-15 19:00:29

My understanding is you only get tuition fee loan through the OU. You might be entitled to means tested benefits but the job centre might be hassling you into work before long. The DPs student loans wouldn't be counted as household income (or they weren't when I had a newborn and my dp was a student). If either you or dp could work part time then you might be entitled to tax credits

What type of degree are you planning to do, have you seen the 1st year timetable? Most courses are nowhere near full time days unless you are doing science or nhs funded courses with placement hours.

bloodyteenagers Sat 20-Jun-15 19:14:00

If the course is full time, you get full funding, depending on circumstances.
Student finance and OU staff were very helpful.
A number of unis also now do distance learning.
Full time is 120 points a year and equivalent to roughly 32 hours study.

peachey96 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:14:01

Ah that's a shame, probably rules out that option then. One of us working part time is something to look into smile

Biochemistry, and can't see my timetable until the week before I start... OH is doing Actuarial Science (which is actually maths grin ) and has just finished his first year, with 20 contact hours a week.

peachey96 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:14:53

@bloodyteenagers, including living cost loans/grants?

passthewineplz Sat 20-Jun-15 19:33:38

You don't qualify for income support or job seekers allowance while studying on a higher education course. You'll have to take out a student loan to pay the course fees, and another loan to help towards living costs. You'll be exempt from council tax as you are both students, and will have to apply to your local council for housing benefit as you have a dependent. They'll take into consideration both you and your partners living cost loan, and any income received from working. its difficult to get any answers around housing benefit, however if you'll roughly have the same annual income whilst studying as you'd have whilst being on benefits I think you'll still get help towards your rent.

You'll also still qualify for child tax credits as long as your combined income doesnt take you over the threshold. And you'll still get child benefit.

Also some unis have hardship funds, help towards childcare fees and give bursaries to student who have got 3 a level grades or equivalent- you'll have to speak to your uni's student services for clarification, and the entitled to website to check how much help you'll receive regarding child tax credits.

Also you're probably better studying whilst your DC isn't at school. One get start school childcare gets more complicated, as you have to find childcare during holidays and before and after school. When they're not school age it's easier to fit child care in as nurseries/childminders cover the day and holidays.

I'd also perhaps think about deferring your place for a year, rather than giving up your place as next year it might be more difficult to get into uni.

peachey96 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:42:25

Thank you, I'm sorted financially if I do take up the place I have this year, but I'm not sure if I stay at home with baby (and defer my place for a year maybe) whilst my partner is a full time student, what would happen then...

passthewineplz Sat 20-Jun-15 19:42:48

Also if you've suffered from PND, you might be better to try and go to uni to study as if you study from home you'll isolate yourself more from people and normality as such. Which might make your PND/anxieties worse.

I suffer from anxiety and depression, and find its easier getting out of the house. If I'm at home, I get more anxious and it has a knock on effect on my studying.

peachey96 Sun 21-Jun-15 07:30:04

Thank you, that is a point I hadn't thought of. I think ideally I want to just wait a year or two before starting uni, til baby is a bit older. Hopefully we can afford to do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now