Advanced search

What help can I get with costs??

(3 Posts)
Finnsmummy90 Thu 04-Jun-15 07:44:58

Hi everyone! When I left school I went straight into hairdressing and that is all I have done since, fast forward 8 years and I now work part time and am a single mummy to 3 year old DC. I would like to go to university to do a degree in counselling, I know once I am at uni I will be able to get grants for living costs etc. but I will have to do an access for a year prior to uni. As it would be 3 full days a week and my son is not yet at school I don't think I would manage to keep up my part time job, along side with being a mummy and also the coursework!

Is it possible to just be a student? What help are you entitled to in order to do this? At the moment I work part time topped up with tax credits so I am aware if I leave work I also won't be entitled to working tax anymore. Please help!! smile

bubbleandboos Thu 04-Jun-15 16:40:30

Hi! I did an access course last year as a single parent and I was able to claim income support and housing benefit for the duration. You can also get a reduced rate on your council tax, as being on an access course you are already classed as a student. Also my college paid for most of my childcare for my two children, which was very helpful!!
Best of luck, it's the best thing I've ever done! I have just finished my first year of a social work degree and the access course really helped for my confidence and essay writing skills!

Finnsmummy90 Fri 05-Jun-15 08:32:38

Thank you!! Were you working before you started the course? As it is at the moment I have a part time job so will have to pay for the course, I am just thinking if I have to leave work for the course I won't be able to afford the instalments once I start? Or would it be reduced??

Exciting but daunting! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: