Talk

Advanced search

So confused by OU options

(10 Posts)
Peppapissinpig Sat 23-May-15 18:40:57

Not a good start I know!

I have an ancient BSc degree and interested in studying either history or classical studies. Originally considered going in at MA level but am cautious as haven't studied for so long. But then a BA is so time consuming and expensive!

I understand I could do an undergraduate module to prep me, but could the credits be applied to an MA if I then chose to go down that route?

Really unsure whether to go for MA or BA

Any thoughts or experiences welcomed

Peppapissinpig Sun 24-May-15 09:01:49

Bump

YouMeddlingKids Sun 24-May-15 09:09:03

AFAIK undergrad credits can't be applied to an masters, as they're different levels of study. On the other hand it doesn't sound as if doing one year of the BA would be a waste of time as it will get you back into study, and help you feel more confident about distance learning.
Good luck!

Peppapissinpig Sun 24-May-15 09:15:02

Thanks Kids. Am just a bit bamboozled by all the various options - times have certainly changed since this dinosaur sat her original degree!

badgerhead Sun 24-May-15 16:59:35

Some of the OU courses qualify for a stand alone qualification as well as being part of a degree. The module I'm studying at present as well as being a level 3/BA module also has a certificate which is a stand alone qualification. This module is KE312 Working together for children. So might be worth looking to see if there is anything else that might be like that in the history/Classics areas.

Reiltin Sun 24-May-15 17:04:25

Phone them. Their staff are really helpful & they'll be able to point you in the right direction smile

Athenaviolet Sun 24-May-15 17:06:33

This might have changed but I remember you could do 2 level 3 undergrad courses and be awarded a new UG degree (using credit from previous degree). Maybe do that then a masters?

Peppapissinpig Sun 24-May-15 18:08:03

It would seem max time limit for credit transfer is 16 years. I graduated 21 years ago

justjuanmorebeer Tue 26-May-15 18:27:51

I would say go straight in for the masters

Peppapissinpig Tue 26-May-15 21:49:36

Had a long phone chat with an OU advisor this morning. It would appear that the 2nd module requires 180 credits to be studied which equates to 40 hours per week shock

Thinking therefore about applying for BA History which only requires 30 credits to be studied at any one time (approx10 hours p.w)
Much more feasible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now