Advanced search

How can i learn to study, to take things in and remember them

(14 Posts)
EssexMummy123 Fri 23-Jan-15 22:50:03

I have just failed a professional exam, probably because i rushed through the material but that's typical of me - i speed read, miss things, get distracted easily and struggle to maintain focus (as much as i'd like to blame pregnancy brain) - i've always been this way.

Any suggestions how to change?

BendyBusBuggy Fri 23-Jan-15 22:51:34

You could try copying the material into a journal by hand. i learn by writing things down.

Violettatrump Fri 23-Jan-15 23:00:06

Create a mind map. A colourful diagram/drawing which includes bullet points to remember.

Or think of things interconnected in some way. For example if I had a list of 5 shopping items to remember (tomato, cat food, carrots, fish fingers, wine), I could imagine myself balancing a huge tomato on my head, imagine the tomato filled with cat food. Imagine a carrot eating the cat food whilst swigging a bottle of wine. Yes it's crazy BUT that will help with memory

twentyten Fri 23-Jan-15 23:05:34

Do you know your learning style? Have a Google. Try and match your revision method to that. Don't panic- try again!

HeyMacWey Fri 23-Jan-15 23:08:59

See if you can work out what your individual learning style is - there are three main ones: auditory, visual and kinaesthetic. This will help you understand why certain things will help you learn quicker.

HeyMacWey Fri 23-Jan-15 23:09:22

X post!

stillwearingaredribbon Fri 23-Jan-15 23:10:00

I speed read
Mind maps don't work for me
I reread and pick out key words then I expand on them
I end up with little cards with key words and an explanation on them
I can then expand and create an essay

HeyMacWey Fri 23-Jan-15 23:11:54

twentyten Fri 23-Jan-15 23:15:56

Great minds��

Violettatrump Fri 23-Jan-15 23:19:39

Or turn words into sayings - so if you had to remember initials or a word FLAX (for example) you could make up some thing memorable/relative

Feed me

AHatAHatMyKingdomForAHat Fri 23-Jan-15 23:29:12

I like doing past papers at the end. Gets the essentials secure.

EssexMummy123 Fri 23-Jan-15 23:43:30

Oh thanks - wasn't expecting so many replies, according to that test i'm more of a visual learner, will give it some thought.

Violettatrump Sat 24-Jan-15 07:46:16

Mind maps then!

Gingergeek Tue 27-Jan-15 17:00:32

Post it's work for me, visual learner too.
I tend to make loads (and loads, and loads), read and reread them, then get DH to quiz me.

I literally have between 50-100 plastered on my walls right now (revising for medical finals, with baby brain in tow!)

Weirdly mind maps don't work too well for me, think I actually get distracted and can remember where the information is on the page, but not what it says, IYKWIM? (Obviously not very helpful!)

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now