Talk

Advanced search

Rather sad thread but what do I wear to university and do I need a laptop all the time or just some days?

(11 Posts)
Oodlives Sun 31-Aug-14 19:58:46

I'm commuting and have restricted mobility so don't want to carry too much on the train.
Its not a techy course but I'm unsure what the norm is in lectures etc.
Also a shallow one but I'm almost twice as old as most of the students so don't want to look like I'm old/Mumsy and don't want to look like I'm trying to be young.
Usually wear jeans and vest tops, hoodies and my 'smarter' stuff was fat face type tops.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Sun 31-Aug-14 20:02:25

Your normal clothes sound absolutely fine. As for laptop, I rarely took mine (preferred paper notes) but some people did. I did graduate 5 years ago though so maybe people use them more now.

Oodlives Sun 31-Aug-14 20:10:21

I'll take it at least once in the welcome week to set up internet etc.

Equimum Wed 03-Sep-14 15:50:26

I'm a postgrad student in my 30s. Dress exactly as you like dressing - you'll see every style going on campus! I usually wear jeans, boots or trainers and either a plain top with scarf or a FatFace type top. Some mature students dress more smartly, others are very scruffy; anything goes.

As for taking your laptop, it depends how you take notes in lectures/ seminars. Although laptops are increasingly used, plenty of people still use paper and pen. If you are planning to study on campus, look and see how easy it is to use university computers. I always go to a computer room to avoid taking my laptop in, as there's always apace were I am. Just remember to back work up in a couple of places so you have access to your work at home.

Finally, good luck. You'll probably find there are a lot more mature students on your course than you expect smile

smashboxmashbox Sun 19-Oct-14 09:22:20

What sort of restricted mobility do you have? I have problems with carrying and grip and I use this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheeled-Laptop-Briefcase-Cabin-Bag-Strong-Business-Trolley-Case-Hand-Luggage-/281463778824? and it's brilliant.

NCIS Sun 19-Oct-14 09:26:50

I wear jeans and hoodie or similar which seems to be the norm regardless of age. I'm 30 years older than most of my fellow students! I don't take a laptop, some people do but most don't. What course are you doing?

MrsMcRuff Sun 19-Oct-14 09:36:05

It's not a sad thread! Most people feel uncertain about what to wear etc., when they go somewhere new. It's like joining a club where you're not sure of the rules.

Thing is, there isn't really any dress code at university. I don't think many go dressed up to the nines, and what you've suggested sounds fine, but you'll come across all sorts of different combinations!

Hope all goes well.

MrsCosmopilite Sun 19-Oct-14 09:37:49

I'm a mature student (over 40) and wear jeans, hoodies, trainers, etc. I do take a laptop for making notes BUT only because my handwriting is so horrible if I wrote fast I'd not be able to read what I'd written.
If you have trouble carrying stuff about maybe speak to student support service at the Uni and find out if there is anywhere you can store heavy items during the day?

LetticeKnollys Sun 19-Oct-14 09:49:54

I finished a BA 2 years ago - not many people brought laptops to lectures, and those who did were generally thought annoying due to their constant tappitty tappitty tappitty.

Jeans and hoodie are absolutely the norm. There will always be the odd girl turn up trying to look straight off the catwalk but they are the minority (also, people make less of an effort after the first week or so!).

18yearstooold Sun 19-Oct-14 09:55:07

Only one person on my course takes a laptop and people mutter about him

Handouts are provided for every lecture so most people just jot down notes directly onto the hand out

I generally go pretty smart as a throw back to when I was working -the majority of my clothes are fairly smart
But we are a rag bag mix of smart, casual, sports wear and one girl even wears pyjamas

JadziaSnax Tue 25-Nov-14 07:19:33

I'm 41 and at uni (finally!). Like everyone else, I wear jeans, tshirt and a hoody. I don't take my laptop very often as it's just something else to carry about. I make paper notes and use their computers. I'm a computing student.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now