Talk

Advanced search

OU intro to SS understanding social change...

(9 Posts)
sfxmum Thu 25-May-06 13:38:45

anyone done it/doing it?
would love to hear from general experiences from all OU students even if not htis part. course
TIA

nikkie Thu 25-May-06 20:42:58

Is this DD100? I did this a few years ago, was a good starting point (I never got any further tho' )

sfxmum Thu 25-May-06 21:02:04

it is indeed D100 thanks for reply thinking of starting in october after i leave work. glad you liked it wanted to slowly do a degree afterwards as sahm - keep up discipline and grey cells ticking i hope

nikkie Thu 25-May-06 21:14:25

I need to do more courses but get lazy!

sfxmum Fri 26-May-06 08:50:13

yes i know what you mean.
i want to have another baby too so lets see how this works.
just got the course choice for 06/07 for inspiration

Poshpaws Fri 26-May-06 08:53:04

I have done K100 (Understanding Health and Social Care) and am currently doing K204 (Working with children and Families). I love both of these courses.

What do you want to do with yours? I am planning to become either a Family Support Worker or a Family Therapist.

sfxmum Fri 26-May-06 09:04:45

its a long term plan to do psychology degree then go on to psychoanalyses. i know its hard work and very long term.
i have worked in social care and social work for nearly 20yrs will take break for kid/s and want to retrain and keep interested in something else
may well be in my mid forties by the time i finnish but thats ok

yours sound interesting i find work with children very hard indeed and not for the faint hearted.

spacedonkey Fri 26-May-06 09:32:11

hi sfxmum

I'm just coming to the end of DD100 (started in October 2005) and I can't recommend it highly enough.

About the course: It's a very broad-ranging introduction - sociology, social policy, politics, economics, philosophy, social psychology - with an overall theme of social change since 1945 using three course themes of structure/agency, uncertainty/diversity and knowledge/knowing.

If you're going down the psychology degree route, you might be slightly disappointed in DD100's relative lack of psychology content: the sociology/politics content is far greater.

I have absolutely loved every minute of it - it has completely changed the way I look at the world/read the papers/watch TV. You will come out of DD100 questioning everything!

I could ramble on for hours about it, but if you want to know anything specific, just ask and I'll do my best to oblige

sfxmum Fri 26-May-06 10:01:49

thanks spacedonkey
i am going into that one because i just want to get back to study and it seems to cover a range of subjects i am already interested in, thus, one hopes making motivation to study easier

i thought about going into social policy but even if i feel drawn i really need to break away from that field. years of frustration with the stupid policies that i have to work with i guess, rant rant...

i really appreciate your enthusiastic impute. i hope to start in october

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: