Advanced search

I have decided to study a degree with the OU

(6 Posts)
SilveryMoon Sat 18-May-13 14:49:58

I work in lower primary, so early years would cover my areas as I believe that goes up to 7.
I have looked through so much course information and modules that I forget which ones said you needed placements.
I know that the social work one needs a placement and some of the childhood/supporting learning ones do, but can't remember where I saw that and if they are on the courses I have narrowed it down to (although witches has now got me thinking about EYs) so I will speak to my headteacher about it and make sure I can get the schools permission incase I come across modules I need their permission for.
I have a while to decide as I am halfway through a CACHE level 3 which I want to finish before I start anything else.

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Sat 18-May-13 13:06:20

i was just going to say early years is a good one, as can lead to other things than teaching such as eyp, children centre work such as family support and outreach.

i am considering the early years degree. how are you finding it badger?

badgerhead Sat 18-May-13 13:02:01

I would also look to see if any of the modules specify that you have to be working in that particular sector, I'm doing an Early Years degree with OU & have to be working with children for most of the modules, although my optional one E212 Childhood, which is also part of the childhood & youth one you don't need to be! I'm thinking more of the Health & Social care degree modules.

SilveryMoon Sat 18-May-13 10:12:54

No! Suppose I better had wink grin
The childhood and youth would obviously be useful to my current role. But I do have a personal interest in health and social care.
I will have a look at job specs like you've suggested. Thanks Violet blush

ShadeofViolet Sat 18-May-13 10:03:17

Have you looked at the job specs of those kinds of jobs to see what employers are looking for?

SilveryMoon Sat 18-May-13 09:38:18

I now just have to decide what I want to study.
In the running are health and social care with children and families, childhood and youth studies, history and religious studies.

I currently work as an SEN TA. I don't think I have plans to move into teaching and not sure what I'd do with a degree, but I want one.
Not just for the sake of having one, but for my own personal development, you know?
I did my GNVQ years ago in Health and Social Care and have a level 4 diploma in health and social care with children and families.
There are a lot of modules in the childhood and youth course that are also in the health and social care one, so maybe that's the way to go.
But maybe I should go for history or religious studies, but how useful would they be?
Ideally, I think I'd like to become a family support worker or a pupil protection/welfare person, so it really is out of social care or childhood studies.
Which one??????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now