Advanced search

I have decided to study a degree with the OU

(6 Posts)
SilveryMoon Sat 18-May-13 09:38:18

I now just have to decide what I want to study.
In the running are health and social care with children and families, childhood and youth studies, history and religious studies.

I currently work as an SEN TA. I don't think I have plans to move into teaching and not sure what I'd do with a degree, but I want one.
Not just for the sake of having one, but for my own personal development, you know?
I did my GNVQ years ago in Health and Social Care and have a level 4 diploma in health and social care with children and families.
There are a lot of modules in the childhood and youth course that are also in the health and social care one, so maybe that's the way to go.
But maybe I should go for history or religious studies, but how useful would they be?
Ideally, I think I'd like to become a family support worker or a pupil protection/welfare person, so it really is out of social care or childhood studies.
Which one??????

ShadeofViolet Sat 18-May-13 10:03:17

Have you looked at the job specs of those kinds of jobs to see what employers are looking for?

SilveryMoon Sat 18-May-13 10:12:54

No! Suppose I better had wink grin
The childhood and youth would obviously be useful to my current role. But I do have a personal interest in health and social care.
I will have a look at job specs like you've suggested. Thanks Violet blush

badgerhead Sat 18-May-13 13:02:01

I would also look to see if any of the modules specify that you have to be working in that particular sector, I'm doing an Early Years degree with OU & have to be working with children for most of the modules, although my optional one E212 Childhood, which is also part of the childhood & youth one you don't need to be! I'm thinking more of the Health & Social care degree modules.

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Sat 18-May-13 13:06:20

i was just going to say early years is a good one, as can lead to other things than teaching such as eyp, children centre work such as family support and outreach.

i am considering the early years degree. how are you finding it badger?

SilveryMoon Sat 18-May-13 14:49:58

I work in lower primary, so early years would cover my areas as I believe that goes up to 7.
I have looked through so much course information and modules that I forget which ones said you needed placements.
I know that the social work one needs a placement and some of the childhood/supporting learning ones do, but can't remember where I saw that and if they are on the courses I have narrowed it down to (although witches has now got me thinking about EYs) so I will speak to my headteacher about it and make sure I can get the schools permission incase I come across modules I need their permission for.
I have a while to decide as I am halfway through a CACHE level 3 which I want to finish before I start anything else.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: