Advanced search

Finance Advice Please? Full-time Degree Student, Three Kids - Husband Just Left.

(6 Posts)
SmarieP Sun 31-Mar-13 20:56:57

Hi to all, hope you've had a nice Easter.

My situation is this... FT student in second year of degree. I don't work, my husband did and student finance bumped us up but he's left us and I have no real form of income. We received WFTC, Child benefit and until this year maintenance grants etc from student finance who for some reason have withdrawn it (got to get in touch with them about that but that's a diff issue).

I'm hoping someone can advise me who hopefully is in the same boat/or knows regarding either scenario. I am interested in any benefit help I can get in both scenarios, if I'd get support at all given I'm on this full-time degree.

First scenario. FT student, single mum of three, youngest aged 8. No working income, so would be reliant on whatever I can get until I can get work.

Second scenario. FT student, working part-time. Will I get student finance - how much? (basing this on a low-paid 16hr per week job to start with).

Hope I'm not being unrealistic hoping to get support like this. If anyone has an idea of where I can get actual figures from I'd be glad of the help.

Many thanks in advance


mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 01-Apr-13 11:57:55


I didnt want your post to go unanswered. I don't know for sure, but I am fairly confident that you would get support in both scenarios. I have had a student loan/grant (full time to part time) with DH working an average salary job with three dependents so I am sure you would be entitled to some.

Best thing is to speak to student loans people and also CAB/Job centre.

Good luck.

Stopanuary Mon 01-Apr-13 14:19:15

Good advice from mixedmama.

In addition speak to your student welfare office at uni - they may be able to give a bursary or loan - and if you're the only adult in the house now, you will not have to pay any council tax now as you're a full time student.

You don't mention what your STBXH will be contributing as child support so make sure you're getting the CSA recommended amounts as a minimum from him.

Good luck.

AngryGnome Wed 03-Apr-13 08:00:41

I'd recommend going to see your student services department - they should have finance specialists who can guide you through this, probably a lot more supportively than slc. You may be eligible for an access to learning fund payment (what used to be called a hardship fund) to cover any urgent costs. You will be eligible for student finance, but there are restrictions on the type of benefits that can be claimed by full time students. It you are thinking if part time work, your university may have restrictions on how many hours work you are allowed to do during term time.

I have worked with a lot if students who are lone parents, and although it is hard work it can be done! Good luck smile

2anddone Thu 04-Apr-13 09:04:42

smariep I just came on to write exactly the same thread only difference I have 2dc aged 4 and 7!
I am in my first year of full time degree course which should last another 2 years. Does anyone know what may happen if I can't afford to continue in September? I was eligible for full maintenance grant and loan last year on dh salary, I do not work at all. Will I be able to afford to continue studying.
Hope you ok smariep its shit isn't it? Don't know about you but I am a month from hand in and no motivation whatsoever x

MissMogwi Fri 05-Apr-13 13:21:26

2anddone- If you were eligible for the maintenance grant etc when you had your husbands income you will surely still be eligible. I am a lone parent of two and I receive:
Parental Allowance of £1,500 per year
Full Maintenance Loan
Special Support Grant
Tax Credits
Some housing benefit
Exempt from council tax as full time student
A bursary from my Uni.

When my student finance was late I also received a grant from financial services at Uni. Most universities have a hardship fund for which certain groups have priority. Such as lone parents, mature students etc. There is lots of of support you can claim, give Student Finance and your uni a call ASAP and make sure you get what you're entitled to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now